Question 80's Alpine Car Radio FM Tuner Repair

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by kringb, Feb 26, 2018.

1. kringb

kringb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an 87 bmw with the original radio. I believe it is an Alpine CM5907 model. Everything works except the FM cuts out when you hit a bump. When it cuts out there is no sound at all, no static. The tape deck and AM will still work fine. Sometimes it cuts out partially and you can still get a diminished signal on the FM and if you tap the radio it will either come back fully or cut out fully. So I am thinking it is possibly a bad solder joint around the FM tuner. I opened the unit up but can't tell what I am looking for. The top circuit board has its screws soldered down and the board is soldered to the body of the radio in one spot so i am not sure how to even open it up. Maybe be removing more screws I can get into it from the other side or maybe i would need to remove the solder from the screws.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can locate the FM tuner or possible solder joints I should focus on to solve this problem? It seems a shame to replace the whole head unit or more just to fix this possibly minor issue.

thanks