80gig or 160gig PS3

disco_UK

Standard Member
Now, this might seem a no brainer, as the 160gig is only £40 more but it comes with about £40 worth of PSN downloadable games. But the game titles are fixed and there is only one worth having IMHO. So would it be better to get the 80gig, save the money and get a 320gig drive to put in at a later date, or is there further technical advantages gained by getting the 160 gig?

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
No technical advantage, or at least none is known until it is officially released.

I would say get the 80GB and buy the 320GB Western Digital drive from Ebuyer for £50.

danmc_82

Distinguished Member
Couldnt you gt hold of an even cheaper 40GB model and upgrade the hardrive in that?

cyax

Novice Member
Couldnt you gt hold of an even cheaper 40GB model and upgrade the hardrive in that?
A 40GB model could end up being 90nm RSX instead of 65nm, so technocally there could be a difference.

To the OP: I'd get the 80GB and a bigger HDD down the road. If the 160GB bundle included a free selection of PSN titles I'd jump on it. With just one interesting game it just isn't worth it and the 80GB LBP bundle is better value IMO (can always sell LBP if it's not your cup of tea).

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
The 40GB model also only comes with the Sixaxis. So it would depend on the price of the 40GB compared to the 80Gb to see if it was worth it.

But the 90nm to 65nm RSX difference would be the deal breaker for me, if I could know before buying that the 40GB console I was buying had the 65nm RSX I would buy, if I weren't sure I would leave it.

Already Taken

Novice Member
My search skills seem to have failed me.
Does anyone know what the included software downloads will be on the 160gb?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
My search skills seem to have failed me.
Does anyone know what the included software downloads will be on the 160gb?
I read somewhere that you can have Pain, and something else not bothering with! :suicide:

Get the 80gb and upgrade in a year or so when you run out of space (unless you're also getting playTV then upgrade asap) :smashin:

Already Taken

Novice Member
D

Deleted member 92943

You'll probably find that they'll also chuck in a free game too like Little Big Planet, so for £340 is a bargain

Already Taken

Novice Member
You'll probably find that they'll also chuck in a free game too like Little Big Planet, so for £340 is a bargain
Yep , I'm sure there's going to be some sort of in store bundles as well.
I did ask at one of the Game stores in Merry Hill a few days ago if they knew and they point blank denied all knowledge of a 160gb version... :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom