1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

804/805 for surrounds

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by robertjackson, Nov 26, 2002.

1. robertjackson

robertjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have htm1 centre & 804 front l/r, & cdm-snt rears, which are moving to centre rear, to be replaced by either 804's or 805's. It was when my dealer quoted me 400 squid for the 804 stands, or 500 squid for the custom granite ones(which did make a noticable difference), that I wondered whether it would make sense to go for another pair of 804's. Would this be pointless for surround duties, and are there any alternatives that would gel equally well???

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I've never actually listened to 804s, but the general impression seems to be that they aren't actually much of a step up from the 805s, or at least that the difference doesn't justify the price differential.

Had you thought about using SCM1s? Again, I haven't actually heard these but they should be fairly similar to 805s, and they're designed to be wall-mounted rather than stand-mounted.

Another possibility might be to check out the Signature version of the 805 and SCM - they are supposed to be a perceptible step up from the 800 series equivalents.

3. robertjackson

robertjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the info. I'll give the scm1's an audition

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Stands Unique do a nice set of stands for 805's. Worth looking at. OI certainly feel 804's are obviously superior to 805's but the 805Sig is astounding. I prefer it to 803'S EVEN!

Gordon