1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

803's Vs DSP5000's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rosemanbridge, Sep 3, 2003.

1. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am shortly going to demo B&W 803's against Meridian DSP 5000 Digital Loudspeakers. Before I make up my own mind which way to go does anyone have any views/opinions about either sets? The 803's will preliminarily be powered by a Roxy 5 channel power amp. Thanks.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I'm not familiar with that particular amplifier, but given reasonable amplification I would say that the 803s are substantially superior to the DSP5000s, which I regard as overpriced. (The 5500s are rather lovely, but they really are expensive!)

The 803s can be a bit current hungry, so you need to be a little careful with the choice of amplifier. (Having said that, I've heard them sound perfectly comfortable with an Arcam P7).

If you're auditioning B&W speakers you should check out the Signature 805s as well. They're fascinatingly different from the 803s. Personally I like the 803s better, but several people on this forum disagree with me (and some even prefer the Signature 805s to Nautilus 802s). To my ears the 803s have better mid-range - fuller, where the Sig 805s sound a bit thin, even distorted. But the Sig 805s have much better treble. (By contrast the 803s sound a little muffled).

3. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aside from the price vs value debate, you are not looking at a simple comparison.

The DSP5k's will be taking a direct digital feed from your CD.

The 802 will be showing you a flavour of amp plus speaker plus cables and interconnects (depending on how much you feel these matter).

As Mr B suggests, you will have to be careful with the amp-matching with these. One of the main reasons for a digital active speaker is that the amps and drivers are completely matched.

http://www.meridian.co.uk/w_paper/DSP_speakers_scr.pdf will explain a bit more about this.

Ultimately though, both setups could be great, so let your ears do the judging.

let us know what happens.

PS...the DSP5500's are really pretty good ;)