• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

802D into a P7

monkeyboy69

Hi All

I have the opportunity of getting some B+w 802D, ex demo, and was wondering whether my P7 can drive these ok or would i need to either

upgrade the amp

or could i get away with bi-amp'ing a couple of the channels into each speaker

or would a single channel from the P7 sufficiently power the 802D's

thanks

aubi

Standard Member
I think that speakers like this deserve amps of higher quality than the P7.
I had a pair of P1's for my Cremona’s for a year or so, but realized what I had been missing after they were replaced with a pair of Parasound JC1.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Although the 802Ds can consume power, they're not exactly a difficult load. I reckon a single channel from the P7 would have sufficient power for an 802D for normal listening levels. If you have a 5.1 setup, you can try biamping as it won't cost you anything.

As to relative comparison of Parasound and Arcam power amplification (as mentioned by aubi), for that you'll need to consider the benefit against your pocketbook and thereby make up your own mind.

Davieboy00

If it was me and I was getting a great deal on a pair if B&W 802Ds I would jump at it irrespective of the amplification I had as you can always upgrade your amplification at a later date but the chance of the B&Ws might not come up again.

monkeyboy69

thanks everyone, ill see how the P7 handles it. Hopefully ill be demo'ing the 803 as well so ill see which ones work for me

i realise its the arcam forum but can anyone give a uk ballpark figure for ex demo 820D, yes ill barter but its nice to have a starting figure wheni go in and not just the one theyve set
thanks

rags

thanks everyone, ill see how the P7 handles it. Hopefully ill be demo'ing the 803 as well so ill see which ones work for me

i realise its the arcam forum but can anyone give a uk ballpark figure for ex demo 820D, yes ill barter but its nice to have a starting figure wheni go in and not just the one theyve set
thanks

35% off retail ?

andym

If it was me and I was getting a great deal on a pair if B&W 802Ds I would jump at it irrespective of the amplification I had as you can always upgrade your amplification at a later date but the chance of the B&Ws might not come up again.

I second the above!

In my view, the 802D is one of the best speakers that money can buy. I drive mine with P1's and I have demo'ed much more expensive and supposedly "better" amplification and there was no improvement. (As an aside, such a test needs to be level-matched and done blind otherwise it's largely a waste of time.) I'd expect the P7 to be more than adequate.

Good luck!

Andy

monkeyboy69

davesater - very interesting and very similar to how ill be runnning mine with 805 in the rear, apart from ill have an av8.

I'm presuming you're very happy with this or have you listened to other amp's

I see you have the HTM1 as well, wouldnt the HTM2 have been a better match just wondering on your reasoning behind getting that centre, although i would imagine it sounds amazing, but tonally different to the 802's

davesater1

Novice Member
My speakers are the 802's not the 802d's so the HTM1 is the match. Sorry if you thought I had the 802d's due to my first post. I haven't listened to other amps as i tend to stick to Arcam (maybe stupidly) but they were the first separates I ever bought many years ago and I have upgraded ever since. I bought the 802's and HTM1 second hand from the very south of England and me being near Glasgow it was a road trip and a half as I did not want to risk getting them shipped as there was no original packaging. I can't really compare the P7 to a stand alone amp as I've always had an AV setup but for an all round package I am extremely pleased. As i've written in my post, I'm not particularly technically minded when it comes to specs of amps etc but I know what I like when I hear it and I STILL can't get the smile of my face when i put some well produced tunes on my DV139. I LOVE IT.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom