1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

800x600 & Chicken Wire effect

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Apr 7, 2001.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had previously never seen a projector of any resolution in operation before but the college I go to just got a second hand Proxima LCD data projector(don't know model number) from a reposession auction. I don't know how old this projector is or what the native resolution is but when its projecting a 5ft horizontal image from about 12 ft away, I can clearly see the panel structure(chicken wire effect).The PC that is feeding the projector is set to 800x600. When I eventually get an LCD projector I will be hoping to produce a 5-6ft horiz. image with the projector and viewing position also 12 ft back. What I want to know is whether all 800x600 projectors exhibit the same level of 'chicken wire' in which case I would have to set my sights a little higher?(Maybe the higher resolution Sony VW10HT). I could not live with the level of 'chicken wire I have seen.
    Could this college projector be an old VGA 640x480 model? (but wouldn't that mean the Pc would have to be set to 640x480). If this was the case then I could probably live with an 800x600 model.

Any ideas?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    It's possible for fixed panel projectors top downscale higher resolution images and show them with less pixels.

Not all 800 x 600 projectors are created equal. I think that the gap between each pixel and the size of each pixel will affect teh visibility of the chicken wire grid. Poor quality scaling may also make it even more obvious.

I think you may have a VGA unit.

Hope this helps,

Gordon

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Some of the early LCD projectors had a single full colour panel. And these have a very noticeable honeycomb effect. But with modern 3 panel LCDs this is nearly invisible. Try to see the one your buying to check for this, also you can check for dead pixels........Paul ;)