1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8000s Pre vs Pre/Power

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by pbains, Mar 1, 2005.

1. pbains

pbains
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I currently have an 8000s which i use as a pre amp with 2x8000mx to power my spendor 8s. I have played around with the 8000s in pre/power mode using the 8000s to power the higher freqs and the 8000mx's to each power the lower freqs on each speaker. Now i would have thought that having separate amplifiication for the higher and lower freqs would results in some audible benifits to the sound but i actually feel that sound is not as clear or as open when the 8000s is running purely as a standalone pre-amp.Is there something wrong with my 8000s? Has anyone else had the same problem or is it just the case that running the 8000s as a pre amp is preferrable to running it in pre/power?

Parm

2. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Currently, I'm bi-amping my Monitor Audio PMC703 with one 8000S (tweeters) and one TAG 100P (bass).

These two have matched nominal gains (29dB at 1kHz, so the manuals say). The 100P is rated at 100W and the 8000S at 60W. Since they have the same nominal gain they should amplify at the same level until the 8000S clips whereas the 100P would still be going. I like this setup, though I feel that the TAG is a better all rounder than the 8000S, so it could even be better amping the speakers alone than with the biamping setup, but in this specific case, these speakers tend to be overbright at the treble and lack oomph in the bass, so I kind of compesated this thing. It works, but I'm in the process of upgrading everything, anyway....

First, you should check that nominal gain is the same, re MX and the S. Then, you should consider that you're putting a different level of quality amping in your speakers, i.e., if your speakers are good all rounders, than the different quality level will show.

Luis

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the cabling, connectors, power leads between each unit, make sure they are 100%

4. pbains

pbains
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have checked the cabling connectors, everything is fine.The nominal gain of the 8000s and the MX's are the same (i checked this out with the guys from audiolab). The Spendor 8s speakers are definately good all rounders so maybe the 8000s in pre mode simpy performs better than the pre/power mode.Or am i just imagining the difference?

Parm