1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

800 quid to spend on a hcpc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AVMADMAN, Apr 28, 2003.

1. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally been given the go- ahead by my missus to spend 800 quid on a hcpc..

does anyone have any recommendations???

it will be going with -

Ptae100 - (had a crt but had major problems with waf)
    Denon avca1sr
    ms thx speakers

the money's burning a hole in my pocket - please help???

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Adam,

Are you up to building one yourself ? Do you intend this solely for hcpc use, or will you be using it for gaming - relevant in terms of how fast the pc needs to be and what kind of graphics card you might want.

Sean.

3. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be for hcpc and some exel usage for my missus..

apart from that, that's it...

4. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We need more info from you, what sources do you want to use? do you want to play just dvd, or music or digital tv, or radio as well.

Dan

5. dotBen

dotBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently built my own HCPC for about £600.

I based it upon a Creative Labs SLIXPC (www.slixpc.com) case which is the "official case" of the Audigy 2 soundcard. It's also used by many of the Indie suppliers of Windows XP Media Centre computers. If anyone was going to use a shuttle, use this instead!

It's nice because it only has one small fan - very quiet. The rest of the system is colled with liquid coolant which disapates heat to the fan. Finally, the presence of loads of audio outputs means that you can easily hook it up to your AV decks

Specs are:

• 2.4 Ghz P4
    • 1/2 GB ram
    • 120 GB HD
    • SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Soundcard
    • Wireless Keboard/Mouse

I purchased the kit from Scan (www.scan.co.uk) - check their "today only" deals.

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

Isn't that exactly the same as the shuttles without the 3 1/2 inch drive day exposed?

7. dotBen

dotBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it turns out it is (had a quick check after someone else asked me this from another thread). However, assuming you are happy with a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard, you can pick up a SLiX PC case bundled with the soundcard for not much more money than the bare shuttle (no sound card).

8. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hey dotBen,

Thanks for the pointer to the SLIXPC. I regularly shop at scan, but had missed that one!

Cheers,
    Joel

9. dotBen

dotBen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do buy from Scan, don't buy the system as a pre-build, it's exteremly expensive.

The bare-bones system came with a very easy to follow manual, although I've built many a system before. If you don't need the system urgently, do wait until the SLiX pc comes up on TodayOnly, where scan normally knock an extra 10-15% off.

ben

10. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yeah. Already costed that one in my head. My requirements are different to their "configurations" anyway. I'm looking to put together some sound server clients, so why buy a new large HD when I can shove any old disk inside...

"Today Only" is my friend. Used on many occasions, including to build my own PCs :smoke:

Cheers,
    Joel