1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80 watt amp 50 watt speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by muttley, Nov 3, 2003.

1. muttley

muttley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just bought some speakers for my rear channels they are rated 50 watts 60 max my a/v amp is rated at 80 watts, am i likely to cause damage to these rears? advice please

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. It's actually the reverse - underpowered amps more often cause damage to speakers!

When driven beyond their capability, amps can send out huge amounts of uncontrolled current.

50/60w rears should be OK :smashin:

3. muttley

muttley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you sir!

4. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was thinking of a pioneer 812 which is 100 watts per channel and the m70 speaker package which is 5x 75w would i be depriving myself of getting the full benefit of the amp with these.Trying to get a wife friendly package(women:rolleyes: ) and its all silver and has 5 stars in what hi-fi.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5x 75w should be fine.

Nice to have a better amp/receiver in case you decide to upgrade your speakers down the line.

Remember if running a sub (eg. 5.1, 6.1 etc.) that low frequencies won't be sent to satellite speakers - less "power" going to them.

:smoke: