1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80% Stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paulbmw, May 24, 2004.

1. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to buy an AV amp but i have a dilemma :confused: .It will be used mainly for music listening.I prefer soft/warm bass but find most av amps a bit punchy(ideal for DVD).Has anyone any advice on an amp/sub combi.I Have Pioneer S-V510 speakers and am thinking of getting one of the following:pioneer VSX-D912,Denon AVR-1804 or a Marantz SR5400.Dont mind if i have a sub or not.All ideas welcome.Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No theard the Marantz x400 range but based on the x200 range which I demoed a lot, that will be the best for music. The low end Denon's are OK but can be a bit harsh. Pioneer, dunno.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Dont forget about nad,If you wan't good stereo and can stretch your budget go for the nad t753,I owned the nad t752 before my h/k and it was easily the best sounding av amp in stereo under £600,The home cinema is also excellent on the nad loads of power in reserve from the hefty power supplies.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try a Harman Kardon, they're very strong in the bass, a bit overpowering sometimes even- but always very well controlled!
    Musical warm sound.
    Old black ones (AVR-2550-3550 etc) are cheap now, my AVR-5550 is very transparent too and handles my KEF Reference 203's with ease.
    Hint: Try Ebay Germany for a good price.
    Good Luck
    Barend

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not a big fan of Cambridge Audio gear, but maybe their a/v amps could do the trick. Also, you might be able to pick up an Arcam A/v amp from eBay for under £600 (AVR100?), which should be pretty good in two-channel.

6. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input.Totally unrelated but is Gonzo any reference to an album by Ted Nugent recorded way back or r u a nutter like the muppet : ) Hope u dont take offence at either reference.I just curious cos The Gonzo Album reminds me of a chap i used to know at school.At 13 he woz a proper HEADBANGER : ) Just curious

7. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that dynamic turtle has a Teac AG10D.I considered it but i didnt put it on my shortlist of 3(see original post)simply cos i havent heard to much about them.Does it compare to the 3 i've already listed?It seems i've already overlooked Nad,HK and Arcam.KEEP THE INPUT COMING,its all welcome although your all causing me to lose more sleep with the amount of surfing i now have to do : )

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Yamaha DSPAX750 has been tuned for 2 channel stereo, haven't had a chance to wire it up yet but they are really pushing the stereo performance as a major feature!
    Got to be worth a Dem.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    You can get an Arcam AVR200 for £600 from Sevenoaks, will beat any of the others hands down for stereo replay.

10. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I beg to differ....the Harman Kardon AVR5550 at around the same price (ex-dem) wipes the floor with the Arcam in stereo in my opinion. Having considered both, the HK was more musical and involving, the Arcam a little muddled with more complex music. HK drives more demanding loads better too.

But it's all personal opinion of course, so have a listen!

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Second that on the AVR5550, indeed very musical sound, Harman's amps always were very good, although there were mentions of hiss & hum on occasion (mine is OK but not COMPLETELY silent too) surprised about your findings on the AVR200 soundconsidering its reputation "Very good sound, so-so in cinema mode).
    Barend

12. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    From your original list, I'd suggest the Marantz 5400, although it might be worth checking out the 5400OSE. This has been tuned for stereo performance. No idea what the tuning involves (with Marantz hi-fi gear it usually means replacing internal components with higher quality alternatives), but I'm sure it will improve things. The 'vanilla' 5400 is smooth and warm (for an AV amp), so expect the 5400OSE carries the same sonic signature, but with improved resolution.

Hope this helps

13. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well PaulBMW, with regards to my Teac AG10D, I can't recommend it specifically for stereo. Its a good amp, but of average build quality & performance. I bought it as a second amp for the bedroom and it does a good job there, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd keep the yammy 640.

This is not to say the Teac is bad in stereo, its actually pretty good IMO, but I reckon this is largely due to the wonderful B&W 601's connected to it. They are 6 years old now and have hit that performance "sweetspot" speakers seem to reach between the age of 5-8. Just singin' away beautifully at the moment....

As for the Arcam, £600 new sounds like good deal to me, especially as their two-channel amps (entry level) go for around £300....

Never used Harmon/Kardon amps before. Must give 'em a whirl at some point.....

DT

14. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which brand is generally considered the best in stereo for classical/orchestral/film scores?

15. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'll leave this one for the experts :rolleyes:

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    At what budget?
    Cheers Gonzo.

17. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £200 to £300

18. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    For a budget of £300 you would have to go for a secondhand nad who produce some of the best amps for stereo in this price range.
    Cheers Gonzo.

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  20. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A humble thank you to all who replied to original message.Your input has been very helpful.I now have a bigger(shortlist: ) )Time to demo me thinks.I know richer sounds have demo rooms but does anyone know any other places with demo rooms.I live in Croydon(SE London) but dont mind travelling.Once again thanks.
    Peace