8 yr old Plasma to LCD - budget £700 ish

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by ched, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Currently have a 720p 42" Panasonic Plasma that is about 8 or 9 years old. Moving house so we can have a new tv :)
    Mainly watch Freeview/FreeSat HD plus HDDVD/BluRay and stream some 1080p. May get Netflix or Amazon 4k when fiber comes in a couple of months. Lounge is fairly bright and this tv is just for general tv viewing. Distance from sofa to tv is about 3.8m/12ft and viewing is straight on. Size wise thinking of 55" but bigger always better.
    Budget is about £700 max and can wait till 'Black Friday' sales to grab a bargain and if something special maybe increase budget a bit. Ideally looking at Richer Sounds or John Lewis for great warantee.

So trying to get reasonable picture, misses likes bright and colourful, I prefer to use calibration discs and play with setup.

Seems like all panels are 8bit some with FRC but all seem to accept HRD10 input. Very difficult to get decent technical reviews on budget tvs.

Looking at:

Hisense 55N5700
    LG 55UH615V
    Sony BRAVIA KD55XE7002
    Samsung SAMS-UE55MU6120
    LG 55UJ670V
    Hisense 55N6800

Ranging from £579 to £699.

So any thing that makes any of the above any better and any alternatives to look at?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
  3. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks very much for the link to the review it was very useful. Now I need to try and find similar techy level reviews for the others :)
    Thanks

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    At that kind of distance I would keep an eye on the pricing of the FHD Samsung 55M5500. You won't really see any benefit from UHD.

But otherwise the Sony XE7002 and Hisense N6800 are your best bets.

Also consider the Panasonic EX700 if you see it for a good price.

5. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. I was reading about tv size and viewing distances on UHD and it does look like I wont be able to see any benefits at the seating distance we have. The weird thing is that the price of the FHD isn't really cheaper. So I feel like I am getting more for my money getting a 4K tv. I understand that realistically the HDR isnt really going to work well as the budget sets can't go bright enough and only have 8 bit panels but I am assuming it will be a bit better on 4K HDR content?
    Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and the FHD will actually look a better picture as it hasn't wasted money on 4K and HDR and instead put extra money into the panel?
    Thanks again.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Its very little to do with panel bit depth but instead the HDR capabilities of a budget TV.

FHD models aren't any better than budget UHD ones really...only with SD material.

But at your distance there's no gain with UHD and HDR isn't going to have such an impact so I wouldn't discount a FHD TV if it gets cheaper than UHD models.

I also wouldn't discount a FHD TV since SD will look better up-scaled too.