8 Year Old Amp Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stretchy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Stretchy

Stretchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi All.

Need some advice on a new AV AMP, spent ages looking around so ready for thoughts:

Having had it packed away since we moved home, i thought it was time to get sorted and set up/upgrade the home cinema. Current Set-Up:

• Mission 700 Front
    • Mission 70c1 Centre
    • Mission 73's Rear
    • Yamaha YST SW45 Sub
    • Yamaha DSP A595a
    • Just ordered a Pair of the Q Acoustics 2010i's for Delivery Tommorow to replace the Missions

Spent ages deciding on the speakers as "she who must be appeased" wants smaller speakers and very excited about these turning up. Currently i will keep the Sub and sell the rest with a view to upgrade back to 5.1 over time. Looking for advice to decide if its worth upgrading the Yamaha DSP A595a that i still have. It does a great job and still sounds good, but I want these speaker to "sing" after all the great reviews ive seen. Benefits i see of upgrading are the HDMI pass-throughs etc in the newer amps, but in real terms of clarity, power etc, if its still working well, is it worth it? If so, looking at Yamaha RXV371B as an on Par replacement or looking at the mid range ONKYO amps?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Kind Regards,
    Paul.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Although your amp is old, unless you need the new features i.e. HD audio or 3D then I would not replace it. The 371 will be a downgrade from your current amp in terms of sound quality as it is the bottom of the range amp. Over the last few years most manufacturers have just added more bells and whistles to their amps more than improve sound quality so unless you plan to more up the range of amps then you are not going to get much better sound quality. Then again if you wanted to do that you would really need better speakers than the QAs to get the most from such an amp.

3. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I just changed my DSP-A5 (which is basically just a year newer model of your amp) for a Denon 2312 and I have been very impressed with it. Ive only had it a few days but the biggest difference ive found is pro logic II. Stereo sources sound MUCH better than they did with my old Yamaha so id say from a sound point of view it is worth it.

I nearly bought an Onkyo but from what ive read allthough they sound great they arent the most reliable.

4. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    any chance of showing where you have seen this, i have never seen anybody say theres has broken down.

5. Stretchy

Stretchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Thanks to both of you for feedback & suggestions, certainly some points to consider,. Been enjoying the speakers this week but am set on an amp change now i think, was looking at the Denon oddly enough but may have to go a model down in the £300 range so thanks for the clarification sound wise, need to match the 2010's a bit really, although they much better than my old missions on the Yamaha.

6. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Search for Onkyo broken or Onkyo problems on here or google you will see alot of results. Some of the stuff ive read mentions cheap capacitors etc failing.

7. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    And just as many reports for Denon and other make amps.

I'm not going all out to defend Onkyo,but while the lower range **5 and **6 series may have had their HDMI/Heat problems,the upper ranges have always been good performers for the money.

The **8 onwards had a fan fitted across the range,I believe, and the HDMI connections have been addressed.

Part of the HDMI problem,as with other makes,has been hot Switching,ie changing the HDMI inputs while the AVR is live.This is a bad practice anyway.If you want to change any cables to your AVR,switch it off at the wall!!

I like the Onkyo sound.My 605 still operates satisfactorily,but is not in everyday use,My 608,which is,performs flawlessly and my Pre-owned 876,used twice a week or so is similarly faithful.

Given a choice between a 609 and the Denon 1912,my money wouldn't be going to Denon and yes, I know that this is against the perceived wisdom of many more experienced users than I.

K.

8. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    fare enough, as said above each company has there problems, my onkyo 606 is on everyday pritty much from 10 in the morn untill 11 at night and not had any problems at all(touch wood) my old sherwood lasted about 4 years and i had it repared and the engineer who did it put higher metling solder in as he said it was a class a amp and the solder in there was not the right stuff. and its going well an man does it sound top.

9. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've nothing against onkyos or any other amp for that matter I'm just saying what my research turned up I found numerous threads where people had sworn never to buy another and wished they'd bought a denon or yamaha.

10. Stretchy

Stretchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi all. Sorry to bring an old thread back but it saves restating info. Thanks for previous help. I am now in a position to upgrade and have also now added the 2000ci into the mix, telly is now wall mounted and the fronts and centre are currently sitting on the top shelf of a open planned 3 shelf glass av stand. Amps narrowed down to Denon AVR 1912 and Yamaha RX V671. Question is to the excellent experience on this forum, has sound moved on enough to warrant an upgrade from my old Yamaha, if so, I think I'm swaying to the V671 just for the sound quality and features? If not, think I will look at a new thinner rack and standmount speakers. Thanks in advance, have a nice Sunday.

11. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    I previously had an Onkyo 875 which is a highly regarded Amp. but I needed to downsize my kit after a recent house move. I was totally convinced I would be disappointed with any of the smaller Amps. Listened to Onkyo, Denon & Yamaha.

I decided on the RX V671 & paid full price of £499 (before the price reduction) & all I can truthfully say is I'm highly delighted & really don't miss the Onkyo one little bit. The 671 is a great performer & works well with my old Mission 752 fronts (Onkyo sounded awful with these). My room is 17' x 13' & I like volume on movies & music, the 671 has no trouble with this at all with power to spare. Simply can't fault this little Amp. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. Stretchy

Stretchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks for the info mate, definitely looking at it for both Movies/Gaming and music so glad to know its good for both, keep jumping between the V671 and Denon AVR1912 but looks to be that its worth the extra £50 or so to go to the Yammmy.:smashin: