1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 Mile

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by rob j, Jan 12, 2003.

1. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just seen 8 mile and I have to say that I'm very impressed!!

I was very sceptical about Eminem's acting ability but he really pulled it off in this case. Even if your not into hip-hop at all this film can stand on its own feet and I think many people will find this enjoyable.

Its got drama, comedy and very good direction in my opinion, not to mention the battling itself - awsome!

The audience was mainly made up of couples that were in their 50'+ - and couldn't believe who much they were getting into it! :eek:

IMO **** out of 5

2. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I cant wait to see this film!!!!!!

How come you got to see it early?

3. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There were special advanced screenings today ( Sat 11th ) although quite a few cinemas around my area chose not to show it much. I went to UGC sheffield who had 7 showings though - not bad!

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely agree with rob j.

Saw '8 Mile' on Saturday night and found it excellently made and highly entertaining. It seemed to me to have a real honesty about itself, almost touching on documentary style in places.

The relationships between the 'group' that Eminem's character was part of were brilliantly portrayed. There's also a lot of humour, support and caring between them, something I wasn't expecting. In fact, Eminem getting all the kudos for his acting is a little unfair because ALL the actors in this film are believeable and very watchable.

That said, I also echo rob's comments re. Eminem's acting... at first I thought 'Oh no, 90 mins of Eminem pretending to not be Eminem playing Eminem' but after the first 10 minutes you forget all that, he plays the part very genuinely and draws you in well.

I dare say this may have been more down to Curtis Hanson's direction. People often talk about direction in terms of the way the film plays out, the look and feel of the images you're seeing but it is also crucial to the performances of the actors and Hanson has done a fantastic job in both areas.

I was also hugely impressed with the film's handling of the use and possession of guns. With the current climate in the UK, this type of attitude could not have come at a better time. The film is basically anti-guns. The characters that do use them are either punished eventually, are the bad guys or are instantly looked at with a mixture of dismay and horror. This film does NOT glamourise the 'thug' lifestyle at all (thankfully).

It's also a little different than pretty much any other (certainly mainstream) film you're likely to see. It also contains some great hip hop, nice to see them using some real classics from over the years, not just a slew of new Eminem tracks.

There are negatives, the one main sex scene seems drawn out, although, it's undoubtedly realistic and (for once) not sexist. The ending comes maybe a little too quick and abrupt... possibly with a view to '8 Mile 2'?

Anyway, a surprisingly uplifting film, without any of the normally associated side-effects, and well worth a watch. I'd give it 4 out of 5 also. Maybe if you're really into hip hop, even a 5 out of 5 as I can't think of a film you'd enjoy more.

5. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It certainly does leave you wanting more!!:eek:

But unfortunately I don't think its ever going to happen. I recently read in an interview that he's done with the "whole acting thing" for a good few years. Instead he's gonna concentrate on his record label. :(

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might change if an Oscar finds it's way onto the Mathers' mantlepiece ;)

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Ross Slagged this tonight on Film 2003, so that doesn't mean much. He seems to slag anything these days, even TTT!! Will go see it this weekend i think.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi THX, I missed the show, could you let us know what he slagged about it please? Cheers.

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking forward to seeing this now... ignore any comments Ross makes, remember he got Phil Jupitus to review phantom menace... the man's a moron.

10. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ]]

He just said it was a rap rocky, and that it would appeal to 12 year olds.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although that's quite funny and I can sort of see his point, it's something that anyone can enjoy. Sure, 12 year old kids would probably like some of it but it also covers a number of more adult issues very well.

BTW, the R1 DVD of '8 Mile' is due to be released on March 18th and will come as a widescreen, anamorphic transfer. No word of extras yet but a glimpse at Curtis Hanson at work would be mighty interesting.

12. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Im will probably watch it, i quite like eminem but im no huge fan but i also liked rocky so rap rocky should be good. :D

13. Spinning Plates

Spinning Plates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The DVD Screener of this rls'd recently had a DTS track! :cool:

14. Britcitchris

Britcitchris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy - I loved your review. Excellent reading. I am hoping to see it soon.

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Britcitchris, hope you enjoy the film too.

(Wow, Dio lyrics, cool... takes me back to Newport Centre on the Last In Line tour!)

16. Britcitchris

Britcitchris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bless em, I used to really like that Band and still enjoy the occasional trip down cheese rock lane with their 'Diamonds' collection. Gutted I never got to see 'em live though, from the Last In Line era!

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Potential spoiler Warnig

:rolleyes:

Now then went to see 8 mile and it was quite good good, not a huge film and the end was a bit odd but great performances and some nice camios, Worth going to see if you are bored but not one I'll be pre-ordering. Sound track was a bit dissapointing but the battle finally was great. Plot to my mind was abit all over the place, and it neede another 30 minutes to fully develope.
    Just my two cents:p :p :p

18. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Hornydragon - I have merged your thread with this one.

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like (according to dvd.com's pre-order info) that the domestic/consumer release DVD will carry the DTS soundtrack also. As will 'The Ring' (2002, US version).