8" inch ceiling speakers worth it ?

declans3

Standard Member
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my existing 5.1 setup to an atmos 5.1.4 environment and am currently choosing my ceiling speakers. My room is quite large at ~550 sq ft (its the attic) so I'm leaning towards 8" ceiling speakers as I believe they will give me better coverage. Apart from the extra cost I'm concerned about the install as there dont appear to be many quality tools that will cleanly cut a 9" (or more) hole in the. The ones I find on Amazon get bad reviews for quality and any decent ones only go out to 200mm (8"). I'm thinking of going with Monitor Audio C180 speakers (although I've found some MA CWT180s for much cheaper so if anyone knows how they compare I'd love to hear what you think) and can't afford to screw up the installation as I'm going through the ceiling plasterboard.

Does anyone know of a good quality hole cutting tool that will reliably cut a 9" or greater hole?

Secondly might I be better off going for slightly higher quality 6.5" ceiling speaker as the install of these looks to be a breeze ?

Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated

Ambienz

Have installed a couple of b&w 8” sets. Comes with a cardboard disc to allow you to trace the hole. Then just need plasterboard saw to cut along the line.
Very simple.
Can’t imagine being different. No need for special tool

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You are running a bass managed system. No need for 8” ceiling speakers as the sub/subs will play everything below 100/80hz. Invest in quality 6” speakers.
[email protected]

declans3

Standard Member
Thanks Ambienz. I should have been clearer - looking at the pics and videos online the MA speakers I'm after have magnetic grilles that fit over the speaker but dont have any flange (i.e. horizotal rim) so will give a lovely flush finish if the hole is neat and I'm not sure I can get a clean enough cut with a handsaw or jigsaw. Hence my search for a suitable tool.

Thanks Seriously - that was what I was thinking as well but was concerned the 6.5" wouldn't fill what is a reasonably large room. I was hoping that having 4 of them with pivotable tweeters would be fine but was getting mixed messages from reading various threads.

JoeSepi

Thanks Ambienz. I should have been clearer - looking at the pics and videos online the MA speakers I'm after have magnetic grilles that fit over the speaker but dont have any flange (i.e. horizotal rim) so will give a lovely flush finish if the hole is neat and I'm not sure I can get a clean enough cut with a handsaw or jigsaw. Hence my search for a suitable tool.

Thanks Seriously - that was what I was thinking as well but was concerned the 6.5" wouldn't fill what is a reasonably large room. I was hoping that having 4 of them with pivotable tweeters would be fine but was getting mixed messages from reading various threads.
You're mistaken they all have a flange, look at the MA site, you can download an installation guide. Use template, mark ceiling, cut hole with plasterboard stab saw, job done.

JoeSepi

Look at the downloads tab, they even have an installation video.

1crb1

JoeSepi you're absolutely correct, thanks for pointing this out. Thought I'd done my research!
the hole cut is a lot smaller that the diameterof the speaker if that makes sense. A pad saw (saw for hope cutting in plasterboard!)will make easy work of it.
As Rich said a quality 6.5 inch speaker is sufficient

declans3

Standard Member
I've gotten a good deal on 4 Monitor Audio CT265-IDC ceiling speakers so I'm going to go with these. I'll fit them with a manual ceiling cut :). Thanks all for your input.

Top Bottom