7MC & Subtitles!

shade_of_meta

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm finding this to be a real mixed bag!

At present I can get subtitles to work on ripped mkv DVDs via VLC,

subtitles don't work at all via 7MC

blu-ray rip subtitles dont work at all ( VLC errors with cannot decode )

ideally i'd like to play DVD and Blu-Ray mkv rips in 7MC with the option for subs ( generally with world cinema )

I've tried splitters & various versions of ffdshow...beginning to wonder why its nigh on impossible!!

Is everyone just brainwashed by Holywood? :eek:

Has anyone got a solution? Even if its via a different non 7MC player at present...i'd just like to enable subs on blu-ray rips!

Last edited:
There are a couple of ways to get subs from mkv to work in 7MC.

ffdshow can do it as long as you are using ffdshow to decode the video, or you can use vobsub. Unfortunately, both methods will break DXVA. This may, or may not, be an issue for you depending on your hardware specs.

MPC-HC however, with it's built in subs engine, will work without breaking DXVA.

Personally I use ISOs for ripped DVD/BD content and mount using Virtual Clone Drive. This way all chapter, sub and navigation works in either TMT3 integrated (BD) or 7MC (DVD) as expected.

I did get MKV content working in 7MC by registering MPC_HC codec but the lack of native subtitles, what I would call proper navigation and chapters put me off. I don't know if the situation has improved over the past 6 months but until these features become available I'm sticking with what I know!:smashin:

space and hardware aren't issues...i'd just like it to work...if i can find a way that works and allows me to use something like media control in 7MC i'll be happy :clap:

anyway...i cant get ffdshow or mpc-hc or TMT3 to play blu-ray mkv rips with subs....

i've ripped them using makemkv so will try using AnyDVD HD & tsmuxer...

determined to get this sorted...gave up last time because the onboard hdmi graphics weren't good enough...now i've sorted that its time to finally get this usable!!

Tis the perfect solution if you have the space.

I know what you mean:D I have 3.5tb and it was getting pretty full until I discovered ClownBD, which is a sort of mashup of eacto, tsmuxer and imgburn. I use it to create a smaller ISO, which is effectively just the 1080p core stream and True HD/DTS MA track with English subtitles only. Depending on the disc in question you can save upwards of 10gb per file.:)

Right...

well tonights tests : 1 rip via anydvd, 1 rip via clown bd ( both to iso ) and i rip to mkv via anydvd and tsmuxer...

i'll take whatever one is the smallest and working with subs lol

space isnt an issue but i guess theres no point in wasting space when i'm hoping to burn a couple of hundred BD's!

Will report back with results!

Cheers for the replies so far!

I know what you mean:D I have 3.5tb and it was getting pretty full until I discovered ClownBD, which is a sort of mashup of eacto, tsmuxer and imgburn. I use it to create a smaller ISO, which is effectively just the 1080p core stream and True HD/DTS MA track with English subtitles only. Depending on the disc in question you can save upwards of 10gb per file.:)

Yes, I've discovered the benifits of ClownBD for creating movie only BD ISO's with chapters, HD audio and subtitles if you want them. That and BD info to select the right MPLS. A fairly quick and painless process :smashin:.

And the winner is....ClownBD...by a fair margin!

Yes the ISO is about 10% larger than the mkv rip but for sheer ease, chapters and subs working a charm I'm happy :smashin:

Cheers for the replies...time to fill that Origen case with 2TB drives!!

Now I need to work on the bitstreaming and letting the amp do the decoding as I'm only getting PCM stereo at the minute...lol

Last edited:
Also - if you have subtitles in SRT format and you want to merge them with a Blu-ray and create a Blu-ray or AVC HD image that will play, TSMuxer can do this (it will convert the SRT to a nicely rendered SUP/PGS (?) stream - you chose the font etc.) and the resulting ISO (or folder) can be played by Blu-ray playing software.

I've bought a number of BDs that don't have English subs, have tracked down the subs and remastered the main movie to include them. Works well - you retain DXVA acceleration etc.

One hint - make sure you set the language field of the imported SRT file - some player software doesn't like subtitle tracks with no language I've found.

(*) I'm pretty certain it is TSMuxer - I've done it a few times now.

And the winner is....ClownBD...by a fair margin!

Yes the ISO is about 10% larger than the mkv rip but for sheer ease, chapters and subs working a charm I'm happy :smashin:

Cheers for the replies...time to fill that Origen case with 2TB drives!!

Now I need to work on the bitstreaming and letting the amp do the decoding as I'm only getting PCM stereo at the minute...lol

Nice one mate glad you're up and running:smashin: Have you made a choice on front end? 7MC and Mediabrowser are flavour of the month but there are lots of alternatives out there.

Also, which playback software are you using as TMT3 doesn't yet support bitstreaming HD audio AFAIK but PowerDVD9 will with the right hardware.:)

Last but not least, the IMHO the beauty of the ISO approach is you can always convert to another format such as MKV later down the line as once mounted, your ISO is effectively a film-only Bluray.:clap:

Last edited:
Well at present i'd just like DD5.1 sent via coax to my Arcam 350 amp...not sure if its a software or hardware issue at the minute....

I'll not be going audio over HDMI for some time...dont have the space or kit ( or a spare 10k ) at present lol

i'm using 7MC with Media Browser and meta browser...havent tried skinning it yet..concentrating on getting a few dozen titles ripped first!

Which software will you be using for BD playback? 7MC won't natively play them, hence Daveybryce's sterling work on integrating other codecs to do so.

yea...slowly realising how much work is involved :rotfl:

Currently ripping to iso, organising and then playing via media browser which in turn mounts to virtualclonedrive and loads TMT3...

so yea...within 7MC i just get PCM Stereo...using standalone TMT3 I get DTS or DD5.1....

not sure I could face all the changes required at the minute...i'll rip a few more movies first :eek:

yea...slowly realising how much work is involved :rotfl:

Currently ripping to iso, organising and then playing via media browser which in turn mounts to virtualclonedrive and loads TMT3...

so yea...within 7MC i just get PCM Stereo...using standalone TMT3 I get DTS or DD5.1....

not sure I could face all the changes required at the minute...i'll rip a few more movies first :eek:

Sounds like you've got is sussed fella, get yourself a couple of dozen films on there and watch the other half's face as you browse them in MediaBrowser:smashin: PS The chocolate theme is great!

I use MakeMKV to rip just the main video, main audio and subtitles from my blurays, I've not had any problems as i've not needed subtitles until I ripped District 9. So using ClownBD to create a ISO will allow media Centre to display the subtitles or do you still need an external player to play the iso?

I use MakeMKV to rip just the main video, main audio and subtitles from my blurays, I've not had any problems as i've not needed subtitles until I ripped District 9. So using ClownBD to create a ISO will allow media Centre to display the subtitles or do you still need an external player to play the iso?

Hi there,

Yes, you'll need an external player such as TMT3 to play HD content in 7MC.

Hi there,

Yes, you'll need an external player such as TMT3 to play HD content in 7MC.

Thats a shame as I was hoping like the bluray MKV's rips I created that they could be played within mediacenter with just the correct splitter, codec etc.

Thats a shame as I was hoping like the bluray MKV's rips I created that they could be played within mediacenter with just the correct splitter, codec etc.

I think you can...:confused: DaveyBryce is the man to confim. Check his build thread or the ones talking about bitsteaming HD audio.

I think that rwttm001 is talking about ISOs. MKVs play fine in 7MC.

I intend to do a guide to MKVs with HD audio and 7MC but I'm working 13-16hr days at the mo so it's difficult.

I was just referring to ISO files. Got Hi Def MKV rips for both HD DVDs and Blurays working fine thanks to threads on here.

Has anybody had any joy with the new subtitle provider plug in for mediabrowser? Link

I've had a play but had no success yet!

This subtitle malarki is annoying. I was watching District 9 (bloody prawns) today and figured a way to overcome this annoyance of no subtitle. I launch my mkv's in MB now using MPC-HC and have set up a remote control button within MPC to turn on/off subtitles which is channel up. So if i'm watching a movie that need subs then I turn them on. Not ideal but this method in MPC still allows DXVA to be used.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom