7mc (MediaBrowser) only plays a movie on 2nd attempt

icstm

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for starting a new thread, but could not find a relavent live thread on 7mc or mediabrowser.

I have an odd problem, mediabrowser shows an error the first time you try to play a file (it says something like "cannot play this file" or "can't render file"). The error looks like a 7mc error, as it comes up with the 7mc skin.

If you try again (ie go back to the library and select the same movie/tv show) it works.

1) I am using ffdshow
2) error does not occur direct from 7mc library

Anyone else have this 2nd time lucky problem? It seems pretty standard.

We need more details about what type of files it does this with and what splitters you are using.

mpc's splitter

MKV (264, not vc1)

The error is

cannot play Video
WMC cannot open the file
It then must change focus windows, as normally your mouse is fixed to the screen using 7mc, this stops being the case.

So you click back on the maximised 7mc. You click back (as the screen is just blue with the video controls at the bottom) and then select the movie or hd tv show again and the screen flickers and then plays.

Once you have done this (or played an avi file first) it will play mkvs no problem rather the remainder of the session.

Does not appear to affect the main 7mc in the same way.

Did you check for the ffdshow icons in the notification area of the taskbar when your videos are playing? You'll need to have 7MC windowed to see it.

no need, as I run 7mc on the TV, with the primary desktop still on the monitor.

The error occurs before FFDshow is called.

Any thoughts? :rolleyes:
Only occurs on first mkv launch within 7mc, no problems with WMP.
AVI files play fine first time, as do actual DVD isos.

Only clue, the screen flickers first.

The error occurs before FFDshow is called.

Or it occurs trying to connect to ffdshow. Try checking the registration of ffdshow with the filter tweaker, deselect it, save then select and save again. Possibly try reinstalling or updating the version of ffdshow?

OK, will give this a go tmr evening

EDIT, However I just tried removing FFDShow, and just using the MPC matroska splitter. In other words, using the built in MS filters to handle h264 and DD sound.
That too gives an error on first run :(

Last edited:
btw, could it be linked to THIS issue?

I resolve the playback thing, I have unregistered the other MPC filters, only leaving the mkv one for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom