7m long cable required for SKY+ to PF9946

I

iranu

A friend of mine has bought a Philips PF9946 and is looking to connect this to a sky+ box. The issue is that the screen will be 7m from the sky+ box. (Please don't ask me why!)

Now an s-video cable will probably do it but will there be signal loss and hence poor PQ over this distance? Can you get 7m long s-video cables?

Would a better way be to put an RGB scart to a JS RGB > VGA converter and then run a 7m long VGA cable to the screen?

I know that someone will say put the sky box closer to the telly. I have suggested this. :)

Any help would be appreciated.

You can get any type of cable in just about any length, personally I have composite, component, s-vid and VGA going to my plasma all of which are 10M long (I have all mine hidden under floor and in wall and A/V cabinet had to be that far from the plasma).

I ordered mine from here (you can buy by the metre and get them made up) they have a range of different quality/price cables:
http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/

I only ever use the s-vid for PS2 so don't really notice any quality issues and the other cables are fine at that length (all decent shielded cables though).

If you are looking for a long S Video cable try Mark Grant over on the cable powerbuy forum Here .
Remember that your friend will also need to find a way to get the sound from Sky to the screen or amp as this is not carried by the svideo cable.

Vileda

S-video will be OK at 7m, lektropacks is a good suggestion their top range cables are not bad at all, and they will make you up anything you like, at a sensible price. If you do need sound, an optical cable should work over this distance, but might be pricey.

Cheers all.

I did realise that s-vid would require an extra cable for sound but forgot to mention it.

Will check to see if he has an "optical in" on his arcam stereo amp, should do. I have seen half decent, long optical leads from Maplins that aren't too pricey. As I understand this is also the best way to transfer sound over a long distanmce too.

Looks like it might be worth buying a cheaper RF coax and running this under floorboards to sky box closer to the set.

Hi all - I am the friend mentioned above - Thanks for your suggestions :thumbsup: , but I am still a little confused.
My main concern is picture quality - i do notice some graining [particularly on facial close ups] and want to optimise picture quality [i guess TV signal was not designed for 42" screens].
I had thought that the best method to get a signal into the plasma would be s-video then Iranu told me about the RGB to Plasma VGA Converter (from JS) and that seemed to be the they way i would go.
Horny dragon - you seem to be a God in this arena and you suggest a Scart - why[is it just dimminishing returns]? (also why is the VGA converter not good?)

So i guess i really want a techie answer on what is BEST not what is easy(though i don't want to spend thousands, i know it ain't gonna be £5.99) . I can accomodate whatever is required cable wise (seperate sound if required).

Thanks for your previous posts - how quick are you all??!!

as you have a 9946 i am not sure the JS RGB>VGA will work (best best picture is from an SDi modded Sky+ box to an SDi scaler then to screen... (£1000+) minimum now moving sky box to under screen is best option ....it depends what you are trying to do,
are you trying for floating screen with kit in the corner on HiFi stand? If so i am afraid you may have approached it from the wrong way...... but just get a good 10m scart and RUN it RGB 10m is not ideal and moving Sky box is cheaper and better.....

I think I migh be tempted, if it were me, ( I do this at home from my pace twin to bedroom) to use s-video over cat5 wire. S-video and stereo audio can be sent amazing distances over network cables, which are small and easy to run. The cable costs pence, the baluns to go on the ends are about £85, madnat or lektropacks for them.

codlord - did you have to use lip sync with such long cables or was it fine straight away.

I get occasional lip-sync issues but I think it's more to do with my dvd player and certain DVD's (the way they are encoded/authored) - most of the time everything is fine, then in some parts of some dvd's I get sync issues, but becuase its intermittent its not something I can really fix.

LOL! signals travel at C. light speed down a cable, you'd have to have one at least to orbit and back to get problems caused by cable length. It's whizzing around inside bits of silicon that causes lip sync, and dozy broadcasters of course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom