7KG on Plasterboard?

R

rockafella

I'm sure that it will be ok but just wanted to check with anyone who has done it.

I've bought some new KEF speakers,they weigh 7kg each and want to mount them on brackets on a plasterboard stud wall.

Will they be ok using Rawl Redidrive type metal fixings and metal wall anchor type fixings?

Any advice appreciated...:smashin:

R

RossH

Had a 35kg plasma on a stud wall in my last flat, 7kg is nothing!

dbs2

Banned
I'm sure that it will be ok but just wanted to check with anyone who has done it.

I've bought some new KEF speakers,they weigh 7kg each and want to mount them on brackets on a plasterboard stud wall.

Will they be ok using Rawl Redidrive type metal fixings and metal wall anchor type fixings?

Any advice appreciated...:smashin:

Should be no problem at all, Please just make sure the anchor surface is flush to the board surface, either sunk in a bit or slightly protruding will greatly weaken the weight they will hold......... :)

R

rockafella

thanks guys,I know some people have mounted upto 40kg on stud walls but the load is spread over a bigger area with TV brackets,my speaker brackets are 5inch by just over 2 inch so the 7kg hangs on a smaller area.

I'm sure it will be ok,plasterboard is quite strong really,more than you think.

RugbyAl

When plasmas are wall mounted, the stress the fixings/plasterboard are under are mostly shear forces which plasterboard can withstand well. Speaker brackets will tend to put more tensile forces into the fixings/plasterboard (as the load is cantilevered) so overall load bearing capability will be reduced.

However as long as you use the correct fixings you should be fine. I hung a portable 14" tv (10kg?) on an 18" long wall bracket in my bedroom on plasterboard where it stayed for over 8 yrs 'till I moved house. I used metal toggle fixings in this instance.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom