7d better than 100d?

muzzi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, tempted by a 7d in the for sale section, but don't really know if the image quality will be that much better than my 100d.

For 100d
Small and light

For 7d
Weather proofed
9 cross point AF

But is the image quality better?

Thanks

Muzzi

I think you'll probably find the IQ will be on par BUT everything else outclasses the 100d, build, ergonomics, AF, everything else.

The thing just behind the viewfinder has the biggest impact on IQ... ;)

What do you find you are missing with your 100d? What lenses do you have? What do you shoot?

I have a nifty 50, 10-22 canon and the the standard STM kit lens.

I have also thought about getting a decent walkabout lenses as that will (should) have a more substantial affect on the outcome. However, the camera upgrade is the cheaper option...

I can currently get the Canon f4 24-70 for €800 after cashback. Probably the better option but a lot more cash.

At the mo, I am mainly shooting landscapes as the 10-22 is my latest new toy. Must say I'm loving it. I also like macro stuff, but I shoot a bit of everything,

Here is a shot I took last night with the 10-22...

I guess I don't really need the 7d, but if I can get results like this with the 100D I do wonder what a better camera could do....

ImageUploadedByAVForums1405101442.639879.jpg

I think by learning exposure and how to use the camera to its full capacity would give you much better results than forking out on a new camera tbh. Also doing some processing in software like Lightroom or Aperture can really enhance your pics too.

Do you just use Auto but do you take more manual control of the camera?

Mainly just aperture priority. But, sometimes I have also used shutter speed priority.

Not the biggest fan of messing about with photos on the Mac. I have recently started using Aperture, but now Apple are discontinuing it I may look into Lightroom.

True, I could spend some time learning more about Aperture or Lightroom to get better at post processing, but as I stare at a PC all day (mainly using CAD software) I am a touch reluctant to spend a lot of time on a PC at home touching up photos. Would rather be out and about taking them :)

Hope this makes sense, very tiered at the mo :)

Yep, makes perfect sense. As above IQ won't be much different so probably not what you're looking for. I don't know if it's the way your photo is displayed but the quality looks quite low and you should be able to get considerably better out of your current equipment IMO. Do you have a Flickr account or something with full res images?

I've recently upgraded to a 7d and haven't looked back, however I did come from a 350d so big noticeable difference for me. I've also got big hands so much prefer the larger body, that and the weight / build quality.. It feels really solid.

Although I agree with others, is the person behind the lens that makes the real difference and you current camera is perfectly capable. Maybe explore some of the other more manual settings and get into Lightroom instead?? Cheaper and perhaps just a fulfilling.. Or spend the money on glass?

For recent 7d pics check out my Flickr: sonicmp's Photostream

Last edited:
For the same price as the canon you can get the tamron 24-70 f2.8 vc. You may find the 24 a bit long for a walk about if you are used to an 18mm.

Yep, makes perfect sense. As above IQ won't be much different so probably not what you're looking for. I don't know if it's the way your photo is displayed but the quality looks quite low and you should be able to get considerably better out of your current equipment IMO. Do you have a Flickr account or something with full res images?
Don't have a flickr account, but I can send you the original jpg (5mb) or raw (25mb) file if you like. I did change the contrast in pixelmator on the iMac to darken it up a touch. The image does look better than above. I'll attach a bigger file...

I have been looking at Lightroom briefly today. Will try and have a look at some tutorials tomorrow.

Looked at a 7d today. It's huge compared to the 100d. Think it reminded me why I bought the 100d in the first place :)

Still looks too dark here compared to how it's shown on my ipad. Tomorrow I'll upload the original from the iMac.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but the 100d is capable of much better pictures tbh. A quick search on Flickr for 100d reveals these, which should give some indication of what the camera is capable of in the right hands with the right lenses and the right software.
Flickr Search: canon 100d

All modern day DSLRs should be capable of really good images. Yes sensors improve as you go up the ladder but a lot of what you pay for is the features and AF systems etc. Often people upgrade their cameras expecting that it will instantly and dramatically improve their images and generally it won't.

Thanks,

No disrespect taken :)

This was very much a jump out of the car, take a couple of photos and then jump back in the car before the elements hit. I didn't have a tripod, so it was hand held, and with it being dark, I couldn't set the exposer for a long duration otherwise it would have been blurry :)

Maybe I am more impressed at what is happening within the photo rather than the quality of the photo it's self :)

I have taken every thing on board, and will now get to know my 100d more and have already downloaded the trial for Lightroom. Just about to watch some tutorials.

Yeah the clouds are spectacular there's no doubt about that. It's just you were referring to IQ :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom