780E 5050e Nova HD S2: How to stream

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Chaihana Joe, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Chaihana Joe

Chaihana Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I'm close to starting my first htpc build, going down the Gigabyte 780G+Athlon 5050e route. From a software point of view, I'm keen to use Windows 7's Media Center, but may rein this back to Vista if necessary. I plan to use the Hauppauge Nova HD S2 TV card and will upgrade to a dual S2 card if and when one becomes available. The HTPC will sit under the telly and will be treated as consumer electronics - a black box.

The big zone of uncertainty for me though, is streaming broadcast TV from the Hauppauge card to 'clients' other than the main HDMI-connected TV. Can anyone offer advice as to whether this functionality (streaming) comes 'out-of-the-box' with my chosen configuration and, if not, how I can get it. The clients I have in mind are existing analogue TVs and laptops, particularly a MacBook. I envisage using some kind of media extender for the analogue TVs. I have a small network including a QNAP NAS and the Netgear DG834 802/11g wireless router.

TIA

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009