1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77" or 92" What would be best for this set up?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by matblack, May 8, 2005.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm trying to work out what would go best in my set up, I'm planing on a AE700 and we'll be seated approximately 3m away from the screen. Being a typical bloke I am inclined to think bigger is better BUT I suspect this isn't the best move.

My sensible side says 77" whould make a better ratio of size to distance and eliminate any chance of screen door, the 92" will only be slightly further than 1:1! 72" is just under 1:2 which seems better.

Anyone got any comments? Room will be very dark (cellar) so according to pjcentral I should be looking at reducing the output of the pj which I presume will allow me to run it at the eco mode and save the bulb life a bit too?

PJ will be roof mounted and at between 3.5m and 3.3m

Cheers

MB

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Matt are you talking about screen width or screen diagonal sizes.

My screen width is 180cm or 72 inch and i sit about 3 metres back and it is plenty big enough, i did have a 84 inch width screen but i found myself forever glancing left and right as i could not get the entire width of my screen into my peripheral vision, with 72inch it is all in and makes for a fer more enjoyable experience imo.

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Inz

That was exactly what I wanted to hear, and as I mentioned before the dimensions of your project are uncannily similar to mine to your about the best person to hear it from too :)

I was indeed talking about diagonal size, I am looking at getting a Beamax screen in 16:9 size.

Thanks again

MB

4. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    matblack, I am in the exact same position. (buying the ae700 and I will be viewing from about 3m)

According to this calculator:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

the ideal according to THX would be about 89" diagonal.

I choose a PJ over a plasma for the size and since 92" is just a bit bigger than the ideal I decided to take a 92" diagonal screen. (80" wide)

5. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can see where your coming from but I think if anything I'll be slightly closer than 3m, maybe 2.8m and as Inz is saying viewing a screen which is too big is more uncomfortable than it being slightly smaller than the ideal.

If it comes to it I can move the seats slightly closer but it'll be a bugger to push the wall back ;)

MB

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I would recommend the Beamax screen, i have just purchased a fixed A frame 180cm (72 inch) wide to replace my old goo screen for the reasons stated above. I was lucky as i managed to get an exdem beamax for about half the retail price, even at full retail they are well worth it imo, the service from Otto is also very excellent.

With 180cm (72inch) wide you will find this very comfortable, with my old screen which was 84 inch wide there were very few problems with screen door as the resolution of 1280x720 is very good it was just the continuous left and right glancing that was distracting, even the gf commented about the difference.

As you have said my dimensions are pretty much the same as yours so i think that with a screen wider than 180cm you will have the same issues as i had. You will also start to run into problems with the throw of pjs as well, a shorter throw really limits the models you can get, especially if you are looking for DLP. The absolute maximum throw for me now is 1.6 screen width, luckily though some of the newer models are starting to come out with shorter throws.

7. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ta

I'm seriously thinking of the AE700 which could do the larger size 203x114 (91" diag) but it might give me the problem we discussed, I think I will settle for the smaller 171x96 (77" diag) which is still larger than the suggested 2:1 distance to width ratio so the screen will be large but not too large, then I can run in eco mode too :)

Beamax will almost certainly get my business, although the cost is over and above a DRH I have heard the quality is excellent in comparison.

MB

8. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you are considering a beamax, but on a budget, have you looked at the ex-demo screens on www.beamaxed.co.uk?

i.e. I ordered a 203 wide m-compact (electric) 16:9 screen for £250 delivered.

It has two small dinks on the case. To be honest you have to be really picky to see them, they dont interfere with the picture, and I am extremely happy with the screen.

HTH

K

9. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, I was just looking at those :)

I really want a manual with a black case but I might drop them an email just to see if they have anything suitable which they need to off load :smashin:

MB

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Out of those sizes, and knowing what i know now, my preference would be the 171 width.

11. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Just asking a few questions about this

10228 Ex-demo: 179x101 R-black
    Reason for discount: Dent in housing, otherwise 100% OK. Viewing size: 171x96 cm. Operation: manual. Screen fabric: Matte White (Gain 1.0). Aspect ratio: 16:9.

If the dents aren't too big I'll have it off them today, despite the fact the HT won't be ready for another 1-2 months :D

Thanks to everyone so far for your assistance :smashin:

MB

12. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Placed the order £95 inc delivery :cool:

Now all I have to do is finish the HT :rolleyes:

Now AE700 or Z3 or 4805????? :confused:

MB

13. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    I've recently bought the 4805 after demo on a super 2000 72" diagonal - the picture quality was fantastic - took Empire Strikes Back, Monsters Inc & Seven with me for a bit of variety. Work on my HT starts tomorrow so haven't bought a screen yet but I reckon viewing distance will be around 11-12 foot away so will probably look at 79" diagonal or thereabouts - depends how it looks when I set the projector up in the finished HT room!

14. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i have got my 92" screen today OMG its bigger than the living room window!! will be sitting 3meters away.
    Cant wait to use it, i looked at the 4805 but left it due to rainbows and it will have to re-scale HD, bought the Z3 in the end only £893! delivered new. Just as good as the pani i think after a viewing and cheaper as well...
    If you dont see rainbows then the 4805 has got a great pic but with so many people gonna be poping round to enjoy a movie and sport I could not risk the comments if poeples eyes were like mine. Try and demo them if you can, and let your eyes decide.
    Now if only the postman would delivery it! I will be posting some pics in the next couple of days of how its going.

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Mmmm. I'll be a bit disappointed if I only have a six foot screen. My converted cellar isn't quite finished yet so have only done some preliminary testing. The screen wall allows me at least a 10 foot (3m) wide screen. We were sitting about 3-4m back I didn't find that I was looking from side to side. I am at present projecting onto a flat white wall. Before buying a screen (or making one) I thought that it was a good idea to experiment with different screen sizes & viewing positions to get exactly the right screen.

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Nigel
    Are you saying that didnt look side to side at all on a 10 foot wide screen sitting 10 to 12 foot away.
    It is definitely a good idea to experiment, also where abouts are your speakers going are they in wall etc.

17. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    We may have been sitting a little further back but both my wife & I commented on the lack of Wimbledon effect:) Last time we went to a real cinema we were in the first row swivelling our heads from side to side & craning upwards so our own cinema is definitely a great improvement on that!

The room is about 4m wide & about 8m long. The 80cm floorstanding speakers will sit either side of the screen with the centre underneath. There
    are similar speakers for the rears.

As I said I deliberately didn't buy a screen at this stage as I really wanted to find what was optimal for our viewing position & screen size. I may eventually go for a ceiling mount for the Panasonic PT-AE700 but at the moment plan on housing it atop the equipment stack behind us. Thus far it's beenstanding on a box on top of a Workmate:) At the cinema I do prefer to be nearer the front so that the screen fills my whole field of vision so that is my starting point.

The room's not finished yet. The concrete floor has just been sealed today so we can't do any more testing for a bit. There's lots of other building work going on at the moment. The home cinema room is just a portion & was actually an afterthought. The major effort is in installing central heating, double glazing & converting a 55 m2 garage built under the house into an office space. When we saw how well the work was going & how great the finish was we asked about digging out the cellar (which leads off the garage/office) & drylining, painting etc. The price seemed reasonable at the time although it has increased what with adding ventilation, central heating radiator & reliable water evacuation so it's quite a bit more than we originally budgeted for. We have been taking pictures along the way & I will try & put together some web pages once complete.

18. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look here (bottom of the page):
    http://www.cinemaequipmentsales.com/athx2.html

According to THX:
    With a 92" screen from 3 meters it is about 37 degrees, which should be ok if the recommended for the farthest seat is 36 degrees.

Of course this always comes down to personal preference. But I don't see why THX would recommend such viewing angles if they were uncomfortable to most people.

19. jkirkebo

jkirkebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2.0:1 recommendation is old, from the days of low-rez projectors. Current THX recommendation is 1.54x distance to width.

I find that a bit small so I went for a 133" diag. screen (295cm wide) from a distance of 3.9m. I'd actually want a 140" if I could fit one :)

No head-moving here and I find that I need such a large screen for the "cinema-effect".

Pictures of my HT here: http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/jkirkebo
    Also there's a link to a video of the electric blinds there (http://cf1.scm.no/gardiner.mpg)

20. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well if its too small I'll sell it and buy a bigger one, I'm restricted by my maximum throw distance anyway and to get 77" I'll have to have the pj at 1/2 of the available zoom.

:)

MB

21. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I suppose it is all down to personal preference, for me the 84inch width at my viewing distance was just too wide, where as the 72inch width is just right and makes for a far more enjoyable experience, which is what it is all about.

Due to the size of my room as well this has opened up a few more projector options to me as i can now look at projectors up to 1.6 throw where as before i was restricted to 1.4ish.

22. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I use 72 inch wide, I think there is a tendancy to think of bigger is better which it is not. Quality for me. Look at Gordons excellent article on screens and do a few calcs re light levels, then you need to think whether this is to be used in dark, sundued light or daylight etc and adjust accordingly. Don't forget different 'reflectivities' of screen material as well and differing light outputs from projector modes (eco, quiet etc). There is much more to this than just size, it is about optimising what you have.

My room is LARGE and 72 inch doesn't seem out of place by any means