75W Wharfdale Modus speakers with 25W T-amp?

Dysanovic

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have been given a set of Wharfdale Modus speakers and I'm considering using these with my PC. I need an amplifier to drive these speakers and I've been looking at the T-amps on ebay as they are cheap and the reviews I've seen say that they perform well.

What I want to know is whether a 25W (possibly 20W as I can get one for ~£19 which seems a bargain) T-amp (e.g. this one here) will be sufficient to drive my speakers? I'm not intending on cranking the volume up high as I don't want to annoy my neighbours (or her indoors). I'm open to opinions!

75w will be the maximum sustained power the speakers can handle and nothing to do with the power of the amp needed. There should be a minimum power value as well which will be much lower. The sensitivity value for the speakers is the sound level with only 1w of power to it. So I think the t amp will be fine.

Well, the T-amp will work but don't expect too much. Aren't these Modus speakers really for surround sound use? Maybe the good reviews were for the speakers used as surround and not main because speaker quality isn't usually as critical when used as surrounds?

The TA2021 based T-amps (like the linked example) are not 25W/channel RMS into 8 Ohms despite the advertising. More like 8W at hifi quality but then expect a couple more Watts because the Modus are 6 Ohm impedance. If you Google for the spec. sheet for the TA2021 chip, you'll see output charts for different impedances and power supply voltages.

I have to say though, for a budget of £20, I think it's the best option. Double your budget and it's a different story.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom