75inch OLED upgrade help…

Nessie1812

Standard Member
Reaction score
With all the price reductions in large OLED screens Im starting to develop an unhealthy need to upgrade our main tv

Currently we have a panasonic tx-55fz802b wall mounted. Its connected to sky q and apple tv and is used primarily to watch tv, stream apple, netflix, amazon etc and for sport. I dont use it for gaming whatsoever.

The tv is only a few years old and I love it, have zero issues and the picture quality is outstanding. The only reason I’m tempted to change is to get a larger screen and they now seem to be at a price point thats acceptable (circa £2k).

I sit 4m from the wall the tv is mounted so think 77 would be a good size for the room. Wife is well against it but I’ll deal with the fallout should I move ahead with the plan.

Replacements im looking at are the LG 77 c1 which can be had for £2500 at costco and the LG 77 B1 which is at a more wallet friendly £2k at smiths.

That all said my question is should I upgrade a screen I’m happy with for one of these purely for something larger and incur the wrath of the wife?

Other than size will I even see any discernible difference in the picture quality for tv, HDR and sport?

Help and advice much appreciated.

I think the difference is going to be more with immersion and the sheer detail you'll see more from a high quality source on a larger TV.

You aren't going to get a groundbreaking difference in picture quality since your OLED still holds up to models like the C1 today.

Thanks Dodge, do you think the extra £500 is worth it for a C1? or would the B1 be ok for my uses and provide as good/better picture than my present tv. Dont want to move up a size and end up with a worse picture performance.

Definitely stick with C1. Brightness between that and B1 is a big step down in terms of the experience imo.

Thanks. I didn’t even realise my current panel would have been as bright given how old it is. I’ll score the B1 off the list.
Just need to decide on whether to pop to costco and pull the trigger now or wait until Easter to see if there are any more savings to be had.
Should also give me time to wear the wife down some more 😜😂

Ive just saw a deal for the samsung 75QN94a for £1374. This seems insanely cheap and is listed as one of your recommended sets Dodge in line with c1. Thoughts?

Ive just saw a deal for the samsung 75QN94a for £1374. This seems insanely cheap and is listed as one of your recommended sets Dodge in line with c1. Thoughts?
It is insanely cheap for such a good TV.

At that price, yes. You can't compare anything to it in value.
If you take value aside, then it's entirely up to you. Which I go for could be different because our preferences and viewing conditions could be different.

Did you own an LCD TV before an OLED? If so that should give you a good idea of the pros and cons compared.

Ive currently still got an old panasonic 50CX802B in the kitchen used to watch the odd tv show but mainly for the kids. Its very old though, pushing 7 years but still has a very good picture. Black/dark scenes are nothing compared to OLED but for a 7 year old tv it does a job. Not sure its a fair reflection on current tech so I’ll drop into currys tomorrow to see it in the flesh hopefully before pulling the trigger on the samsung EPP page.

Thanks for all the advice Dodge.

Looks like the C1 is £2549 for vip members at Richer sounds too when you add it to the basket.

If you're happy with that Panasonic you'll be more than happy with the Samsung but its up to you if you want to move from an OLED to an LCD. At that price your really can't argue.

Down from my Panny GZ950 OLED which i use in my living room which I am still keeping as I love the picture I am wanting a 77" OLED probably a Sony AJ80 or LG C1 @ circa £2500 for my other a/v setup. Is there any other tech that can come close regarding blacks etc.

I have had LCD before and the OLED is so much better but what about these newer QD tech etc are they approaching OLED quality. Happy to spend £2500 if maybe it gets me an 83"

After significant deliberation pulled the trigger on the 74QN94a, should arrive monday so I’ll test the screen for uniformity and DSE before putting on bias lights and sticking it on the wall.

Have to say that after viewing it next to an OLED in currys the blacks were very similar but the colour really popped on the QLED and seemed much more detailed. Slightly concerned about how it will fare with sport though but ill test it against my current OLED when it arrives. Seemed quite poor in store but I’m putting this down to the terrible screen settings they use in the shops.

Thanks for help and advice.

Do you mind me asking where you saw the deal for the 74QN94a?
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, wall mounted, about 4 metres, no gaming.

It was on the employee samsung page online but the £500 cashback offer ended on Tuesday night.

Thanks. I wouldn't have qualified anyway.
Just checked my employer rewards page and they have it for £1800 direct from Samsung (which isn't too bad).

Why wouldn’t you have qualified? That model was available for cashback so long as it was purchased from a recognised outlet.

The 77 cx is £1999 at john lewis brilliant for the money. I also have a 55fz802 but changed to a 65 sony oled in lockdown. 77 just wont fit

The 77 cx is £1999 at john lewis brilliant for the money. I also have a 55fz802 but changed to a 65 sony oled in lockdown. 77 just wont fit
I was so tempted by that but at over £600 more I couldn’t ignore the value of the QLED. If there are any issues though with the panel this will be the back up plan.

Why wouldn’t you have qualified? That model was available for cashback so long as it was purchased from a recognised outlet.
Just with you saying it was the Samsung 'employee' page. I presumed you needed to be an employee to get the discount?

It's available at £1750 so still might be worth it?

Just with you saying it was the Samsung 'employee' page. I presumed you needed to be an employee to get the discount?

It's available at £1750 so still might be worth it?
Sorry I thought you meant you wouldn’t qualify for the cash back

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom