75db Sub level query....

Johndm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So, I got my new Radio Shack SPL meter...
Set front mains to 75db.
Centre front OK (no adjustment required)
Left/Right rears low, (+3bd required)
Centre rears OK.

Now, there seems to be differing views regarding the subwoofer level. Some say set to 75db, some say tweak it up +7 to +10.

Using the test tones on my VA555ES, what should I be looking for?

Would a test disc or THX optimiser be better for setting up?

regards

For what it's worth, i gave up trying to set my sub up with an SPL meter. Using the meter the sub was overpowering, i reverted to what i found 'just so' by ear, which was a drop of several db's compared with the meter.
No doubt i'll get flamed for this so i'll put on asbestos overalls now :)

I've used both methods and found that they seem to come out about the same, but that might just be luck.

By ear takes several days and you gradually tweak the settings until the sub doesn't sound obvious. This morning I used AVIA to setup my new sub and that took about a minute.

I set mine to the same level as the main speakers.

Originally posted by avanzato
I set mine to the same level as the main speakers.

I found that if I set mine to the same levels as the main speakers using either the amp test tines or Avia, the subwoofer level was too loud when playing the frequency sweeps.

This time I have adjusted it using the Avia frequency sweep which leaves the sub several decibels short on the amp test tones.

Originally posted by Johndm

Would a test disc or THX optimiser be better for setting up?

regards

I do use the Avia test tone but only to make a note of the output to save me having to reset it after my 2year old has decided to make his own tweaks.
In no way advocating this is the right way of doing it...but i set up the sub by listening to DVDs and CDs i like trying to get the best average. As Ian points out even if you set at 75/85dB with the test tone, unless you're lucky, room acoustics will probably mean you'll end up with output way above this at certain frequencies...and these can be quite intrusive. My own room has at 9dB peak around 50Hz which plays havoc with Roger Water's bass.:(

I use the processors tone and set all the same, seems pretty accurate to me.

I also use the sub peak limiter because I've always had problems with excessive bass mixes bottoming out my sub (Toy Story 2 logo onto, T2 Ultimate, Titan AE and possibly Final Fantasy)

Since I'll be buying a subwoofer soon I haven't fiddled around getting exactly spot on. When I play music I can increase/decrease subwoofer volume in stereo & Logic Music mode- that's seperate from DD & DTS.

How are you all running the bass management?

I checked the levels again (using Video Essentials this time) and there was no difference. So I wondered if it was because I run the sub LFE only.

I changed the settings on the amp to allow me to switch between the mains only and the sub doing the bass by changing the front speaker size from small to large. Bunged in the nearest CD (Karen Mok) and let rip.

In stereo (no sub) great sound, good separation clean sound only missing the real low bass as the speakers go down to 45hz. Switch to small fronts to bring in the sub and it was ****** awful. Everything vibrated, stereo image reduced, too much bass.

Checked the SPL and it was 1.5 - 2.5 db higher with the sub doing the bass.

Obviously I've only had the sub a day so haven't yet got anywhere near dialing it to the room properly. But (as I already know) it's not a simple as just turning on the bass management in the processor. So depending on how you use the sub, tuning by ear is probably the best way.

And back to the original question: I wouldn't boost the bass by +1db and as for +10db :thumbsdow

I think the +10db figure is for films and not music.I set mine up with test tones on a disc not the ones built in the amp.Most people get peaks at some frequencies which will be louder than 75db if you set to 75db with the built in tones.I would do a set up with the meter and then fine tune with your ears playing music.

Ended up setting sub to +5db. However, this is a bit of a compromise!

As suggested, +5 to +10 is OK for movies, well some anyway.
Movies like AOTC is better at 0db, and for music in 'stereo mode with sub' probably -3 to -5.
DVD-A is another problem, when running through direct phono connections. sub volume is miles too low.

Seems the new generation of AV amps need some sort of LFE memory setting for differing modes? My Sony VA555ES is lacking in this, and I've not heard of any other amps that can memorise
levels like this..............unless anyone knows better???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom