75"+ Upgrade Recommendation from Hisense H55M700

Coastline

Established Member
Reaction score
Current TV: Hisense H55M7000
Current Soundbar: Sony MT300

Sources: Sky Q, Firestick 4K, Blu-Ray.

Content: Mostly Sky TV, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV+ (mix of Satellite and streaming). Occasional Blue-Ray.

Viewing Distance: 3.2 meters.

Budget: Upto £2,500

Wife bought a new couch so we now need a new TV!! :cool:

The Hisense was a bargain when I got it and punched well above it's weight. I haven't looked at TV's for 5 years so I am completely out of touch.

Would like a 75"/77".

Would love the blacks of an OLED but I'm wary of burn-in.

I'd like an improvement in picture quality from my existing TV as well as an increase in size. I assume things have improved somewhat in the 5 years since I bought the Hisense so I'm hoping I can be easily impressed.

What should I be looking at?

Best buys are here:

Current TV would probably sit in semi-pro today so you should aim for pro or enthusiast.

You'll need to decide on OLED vs LCD before making your decision. There's no wrong or right it depends on your own choices and preferences.

Main difference when you upgrade from your current TV with be with HDR picture quality and size/immersion. Don't expect older content like SDR broadcast TV to look better on a bigger screen.

Thanks.

So I don't need to be overly concerned about OLED Burn in which is good to know.

Problem with the recommended list is that there doesn't appear to be any stock left!

I found one company BOX (not heard of them before) that has the Philips OLED806,
LG 77G16LA, and Sony XR75Z9JU in stock for £2999. Can't find the recommended Samsungs anywhere, no LG C1's, or any of the Pro Sony's.

Not sure if £2999 is an ok price for the models from Box!

Or do I have to bite the bullet and pay more for 2022 models.

£3k is around the usual price you see those TV's at. Nothing special, nothing terrible either.
OLED Price Changes is a good thread to follow, for example the post I linked to references a deal at Costco.

It may be a difficult time to buy at the moment. Good value 2021-22 models may have sold out leaving with only overpriced 2022-23 stock so good deals may be few and far between. At the same time, retailers are keen to get rid of any old stock so sometimes you do get great deals like the one I posted above. Don't be in a rush to upgrade and keep with what you have until the right deal comes along..if you can't get that Costco one it's not worth over-paying for the sake of upgrading sooner and It's definitely not worth overpaying for new stock as that will really mean you pay more, for less. New models right now can cost as much as 50% more than they are worth.

OK - Scrap the post below!

OLED Burn in - Can't find a definitive view on this!

Posts on here, reviews, tests.... All contradictory - OLED recommended for Sports in one, then Sports defined as one of the worst things to watch for Burn in. So which is it?

I watch 1 sometimes 2 football matches a week during the season and I have no idea whether that is going to be a problem.

I guess it's a Samsung QN95A or B then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who knew it would be so tough buying a new TV!

After a lot of reading, deciding this TV is the one then reading something else that changes your mind I'm down to the following list of OLED's (listed in price order):

A90J 65" - £2,599.00
A80K 65" - £2,195.00
C2 65" - £1,899.00
C1 65" - £1,549.00

This is on a belief that an OLED will be OK in my room. Direct sun only ever hits the seating position but not the TV, late afternoon/early evening, at which point the curtains are closed for a while.

20220901_093810.jpg

20220902_100905.jpg

If an OLED would be problematic I would also consider:

Q95B 65" - £2,299.00
Q95A 65" - if I can find one

I originally wanted to go larger but can't justify the £3000+ at the minute. I'm hoping moving from 55" to 65" will satisfy me for now.

It seemed as if the A80J was the sweet spot for value but I can't find any available.

I'm struggling to pick one out of the OLED list as the reviews/comparisons do not (to me) give a definitive view.

It's hard to know which differences might warrant additional cost in practical viewing terms.

Any pointers would be great.

Or a definitive "at those prices this is the best buy"

or even "Don't get one of those, get this instead" would also be useful in a sadistic kind of way :confused:.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I watch 1 sometimes 2 football matches a week during the season and I have no idea whether that is going to be a problem.
That's really not enough to cause burn in, even in the worst-case scenario when sports like american football have lots of permanent tickers on the screen.

Also, the new generation panels such as the ones fitted to last years LG G1 are using a new and even more durable type of panel. If I were you with the choices at the moment I'd aim for LGs C2 or Sony's A80K but I wouldn't buy either of them now and wait for their price to drop.

Thanks for that I was beginning to lose the will to live.

I'm not a gamer, is there any other area where either of the C2 or A80K moves ahead of the other?

What price would you expect these TV's to drop to before they would be classed a buy?

I'd probably aim at around 1500 for the C2 and 1700 for the A80K . Black Friday or Xmas deals are your best bet, otherwise looking for clearance deals in springtime can also lead to even better deals (also at the risk of stock running out).

Saw both the C2 and A80K today in 65" and 77" - mission creep is an awful thing but it's looking like a 77" A80K.

Will wait a while (black friday) for prices to fall! But November is a long way away.

If you had to guess based on previous years what would you say the 77" A80K might go for in November?

So, I can get a Sony 77" A80K for £3099.99.

Sony are running a £200.00 Cashback until 1st November bringing it down to £2899.99

Sony 65" A80K for £1799.99 - £200 Cashback = £1599.98

Might have to go 65"

Am I likely to see prices come down much below this for Black Friday going into Christmas?

Last edited:
I imagine that 2800 will be the figure we see it at come Black Friday at 77". Similar to last year's A80J.
77" has a big premium and tighter margin so less likely to see good price drops at larger sizes than smaller.

What about the 65"?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth taking advantage of the current sony £200 cashback along with the Costco £300-£400 difference to main retaliers?

WIll it drop more than the £200 sony cashback?

I expect it will drop to 2800 so 100 less than the cashback offer post cashback.
I don't have a crystal ball though, unfortunately.

Not long for upcoming sales so it's worth waiting. You'll get better after sales service and a longer warranty too if you end up buying elsewhere. For example, Richer Sounds with their 6 year VIP club warranty or theperfectsignal's 7 year warranty.

Prices do tend to get lower year by year and I've learned the A80K this year is a step down in peak brightness compared to last year's models so if anything, it should drop lower.

OLED pecking order should be something like:

Worst to best:
LG A2
LG B2/Sony A80K
LG C2/Panasonic LZ980/LZ1000/Philips OLED707/OLED807
LG G2/Panasonic LZ2000/Philips OLED907
Samsung S95B/Sony A95K

We're still learning a lot about the newer models and some models may not be accurate in the pecking order above. Just another reason not to buy later on.

Costco dropped the price of the 65" A80K to £1659.99 today.

£1459.99 with Sony Cashback!!

I figured that was cheap enough - so I've ordered it.

Couldn't justify waiting for the 77" to drop to £2800 (maybe) and still be paying double the price for 40% more screen size.

If there's significant price movement during Black Friday sales I have 90 days return on the 65" so I think it's worth a punt.

Plus I get my TV now, now, now!!! That's also worth a little more :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom