75" TV up to £2500

wack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a samsung UE75JU6400KXXU from costco in 2016 , its developed a vertical banding problem which has been highlighted by the recent purchase of a 4k Xbox

Costco have decided to write it off and have offered a refund of the £1400 + vat I paid for it , this gives me £1700 to play with which I could increase to £2500 without attracting too much attention

I'm baffled by the number of TVs in this price range so any advice is appreciated, I'm used to 75" now so wouldn't really want to drop 10" but I do like a bargain so if one was about on a high end older model I might consider it

Please answer the following questions:
  • What are your sources going to be? For example:
Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming? yes
Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? no
Netflix? YES
Amazon? YES
Apple TV NO
Catch up TV? YES
HDR games consoles? YES
PC usage? NO
DVDs? yes
FHD Blu-Rays? YES
Sky, BT or Virgin? UHD or HD? HD
  • SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? 0% 80% 20%
  • Movies, sport, console games, PC use in percentage? eg 80% 0% 10% 0%
  • How close can you view the TV? 10-12FT
  • Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? STRAIGHT ON
  • What conditions do you view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? DAY & NIGHT WITH DIM LIGHTING
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV?samsung UE75JU6400KXXU Happy with the HD picture on this TV so anything better is a bonus

• Motion - Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully. No

Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

Blacks
How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)
SDR Brightness
SDR Colour Saturation
SDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Brightness
HDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Colour Saturation
Local dimming
How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
Temporary image retention
Loss of detail in dark areas
Reflective screens
Haloing
Motion Blur
Motion Judder
Motion stutter
Soap Opera Effect
3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs

Now which is most important to you?

Price
SDR PQ
Sound
Smart TV (which apps)? Netflix Amazon Prime
HDR PQ
Connections
Wide Viewing angles

Sony XF9005 is best within your budget.

Sony 75 XF9005
Sony 85 XF85xx series
or
Samsung 75/82" NU8000

Since you returned a TV for poor screen uniformity the Sony XF9005 should give you the best chance of not seeing that again, it has local dimming which is the only technology you can use on an LCD to reduce poor screen uniformity... although no TV is perfect. If you are contemplating larger the other options are very good too, especially the Sony 85" XF85xx. Some people will be put off by smart TV in which case the Samsung is a good alternative but much like your old TV it is an edge lit model.

Thanks I'll start looking , I have a Sony 46" backup set so I might live with that for a bit while I decide

Thanks I'll start looking , I have a Sony 46" backup set so I might live with that for a bit while I decide

If you can wait until Spring then you will save money definitely on the models suggested, as for Screen Uniformity issues and DSE or Dirty Screen Effect issues you need to thoroughly test it when you get it setup for the first time, the vertical banding issue was most likely there the whole time on your last tv, sometimes you just don't see it until you start reading info on here, and once you've seen it you will see it on every tv you look at.

If it's a keeper you will know pretty soon, if not then simply return it back.

@DevonMike is someone who can tell you a thing about DSE.

General Buying Tips

I returned the Samsung to Costco yesterday for a full refund after 2.5 years all they checked was the screen wasn't cracked
As their customer service is so good I've decided I'm only buying from there, they don't do any of the models suggested so I'm going for a 65" LG E8

I'm really looking forward to it , one night with a 46" 6 year old Sony is enough :D

I'm really looking forward to it , one night with a 46" 6 year old Sony is enough

Ah it's not that bad, I had a 46" for 10 years and miss the speakers on it, so much better than the tinny ones on my new tv lol.

The sound on this one isn't great , it was my dad's , the drop from a 75" 4K TV to a 46" is like watching a portable though , my wife can't read the TV guide now :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom