75" TV £2500 budget. OLED or.....

Boleyn1895

Novice Member
Reaction score
The TV will be my PC monitor, connected to Sky and a 4K blu ray player, it is the only screen I will use for the next 7-8 years. It is turned on the second I wake up and gets turned off when I goto bed. In those times it gets used for PC gaming, console gaming, browsing web pages/Youtube/email, reading & writing documents, streaming TV shows, playing 4K discs, watching sports – general PC/TV usage.

Room brightness is not important as I can brighten or darken as needed but I will generally work in a bright room and watch movies in a semi dark room, dark but not pitch black – I have atrocious eyes and too dark causes migraines. (I do have medialight bias lighting)

My budget is around £2500 so I’m considering a 2021 Flagship as opposed to anything from 2022.

I am often called away from the TV and with my current old TV (LED) I just leave it on whatever web page I’m on, pause TV/film, pause a game, sometimes for hours – again normal, in my opinion TV behaviour.

So the question is which TV? OLED or something else? In my head I’m thinking that paying that amount of money I want the best and OLED seems to be considered the best but I feel my usage habits are not in line with an OLED. I really don’t want to micro manage a TV – I’ll set it up initially but that’s it.

My main reason for getting a new TV is I want an increased size, 75-77” from the 54” I currently have and to be wowed. I want to see bright vivid fantastical images and just generally be blown away and amazed.

Am I asking for trouble getting an OLED? Are OLEDs bright enough for “bright vivid fantastical images”? Am I in the group of people based on my usage that should just stay away from OLEDs?

If not an OLED then what else? Nanocell? QLED?

Thank you.

You are high risk for OLED, probably very high risk: stick with LED, VA panel (narrow angles) type.

Nano cell is poor, and QLED is just LED marketing gimmic. Check out this guide:

Ah, That's a real shame - I really wanted an OLED.

Thank you both, I'll look at those two Samsungs.

There are measures you can take to reduce your risk of burn in. In your case, you could use a screensaver on the PC so it kicks in when you're not using the TV.
If you have web pages, graphics etc up for long periods of time you will cause damage in the long run.
Some higher end OLED models have more durable panels, but since you also want to keep the TV for a long time its just not a good mix wanting to use the TV as a computer monitor with your usage.

My suggestion: if you want OLED, don't treat the purchase as such a long-term thing and spend less money now and change your TV sooner, later. Although to be honest with your budget going for an OLED at 77" will probably mean you have to drop the quality so low that's it's going to be better getting an LCD TV anyway.

That QN94/95A does look very nice.

I asked in the Samsung forum earlier about aggressive local dimming as that concerns me as I like spacey stuff and one video I watched, this:
seems to have a lot of detail missing in dark area's. (2 minute mark)

But these two certainly seem to be the way to go.

Thank you.

Samsung employ a pretty intense algorithm to minimise blooming so in the typical LCD torture test of a star field its common to see them crush detail. Thise can be controlled somewhat by adjusting local dimming but by reducing local dimming you also increase blooming.

I really wouldn't worry about it so much, its just part of having an LCD TV, those with less zones like the Q90T will only look better in these tests, in others where blooming is tested, they will be a lot worse.

If you're looking for the most accurate picture then the Sony X95J may also be an option for you, but it does have more blooming. Sony don't take the approach of crushing detail like Samsung do, and as a result of that they have more blooming.

I bought an OLED thinking the same, it had a RRP of £2.5K and only last 26 months, the panel started to fail, no burn in, no stuck or dead pixels. On that time I'd had three or four control boards installed too. OLEDs aren't designed to be on for more than four hours at a time, many have settings (that can be changed) to refresh/turn off at four hours.
Agree with those above, save your money and get something for about half the price and buy again in a couple of years time.
Also don't expect like for like when it comes to warranties, only the basics will be consider (is it 65" is it OLED), I know I found out the hard way.

I bought an OLED thinking the same, it had a RRP of £2.5K and only last 26 months, the panel started to fail, no burn in, no stuck or dead pixels. On that time I'd had three or four control boards installed too. OLEDs aren't designed to be on for more than four hours at a time, many have settings (that can be changed) to refresh/turn off at four hours.
Agree with those above, save your money and get something for about half the price and buy again in a couple of years time.
Also don't expect like for like when it comes to warranties, only the basics will be consider (is it 65" is it OLED), I know I found out the hard way.

I’m now reconsidering an OLED purchase after reading this……no more than 4hr at time with the tv on? 😬

We’re not big tv watchers but there will be plenty of times the tv is on more than that.

I’m now reconsidering an OLED purchase after reading this……no more than 4hr at time with the tv on? 😬

We’re not big tv watchers but there will be plenty of times the tv is on more than that.
You can change the settings, but they're there for a reason. When I had mine on in the morning I used to select a radio station and then use the option to turn the screen off to save any burn in, this would help get around the in-built timer. But on some occasions if I'd done a bit of a TV marathon the TV would actually just turn itself off, no way of bypassing, it was only about 10mins before it would start again, but annoying none the less.
Maybe the tech is still too new, possibly the manufacturers are being overly cautious, or they know that their panels just can't take a good British viewing marathon.
Have you seen many OLEDs in action? Have you noticed the jitter?

You can change the settings, but they're there for a reason. When I had mine on in the morning I used to select a radio station and then use the option to turn the screen off to save any burn in, this would help get around the in-built timer. But on some occasions if I'd done a bit of a TV marathon the TV would actually just turn itself off, no way of bypassing, it was only about 10mins before it would start again, but annoying none the less.
Maybe the tech is still too new, possibly the manufacturers are being overly cautious, or they know that their panels just can't take a good British viewing marathon.
Only seen OLED’s showing the ideal looped stuff in curry’s- read plenty & believed Sonys handled motion well?

I’ve got an Apple TV 4K 2021 arriving soon, was hoping that would help with motion on Netflix & other platforms too?

I’ve got a thread on here “torn between 75” X95J & 65” A84J” …..so I’m already unsure & have been all along

Last edited:
Not disputing what others have said about OLED but I have an LG B7 55 which I've not done anything to nanny. Left on, play games for hours (more than 4) and generally just enjoyed it, not worrying about burn and .. it doesn't have any and hasn't failed on me since 2017.. I love it. Looking at going big on a 77 C1 perhaps as can get less than £2500 atm

Was that a model from years ago I've got an lg cx and never had any issues having it on all day.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the QN94A or the LG C1 – I would have gone for the A90J but it doesn’t come in 75” and 83” is too big and way too expensive.

What can I do to get into good OLED habits while I decide? I know I mentioned in my original post I don't want to micro manage but I'm prepared to do some if I get a better TV.

I’ve started using a screensaver but it doesn’t come on during gaming or TV/Movie watching, is it just a case of turning the TV off every few hours for a few minutes?

I’m 60/40 in favour of the QN94A but the C1 always beats it in tests, Rtings, youtube reviews e.t.c and at £2500 I don’t want second best – also places like John Lewis with their Protect Plus, covers screen burn in for 5 years – so that would cover the aforementioned “My suggestion: if you want OLED, don't treat the purchase as such a long-term thing and spend less money now and change your TV sooner” as suggested by Dodgexander?

So all things considered from my first post and the protect plus burn in cover, QN94A or the LG C1 (or is their a better OLED in my price range, it must be on a stand)?

Thank you.

I know I've said it before but there's a markup on prices of the 77" OLEDs like the C1 usually.

Looking at price history graphs, the 75" QN94A currently is a higher price than its previously sold, with it dropping to £2500 around Black Friday and going up again in price around December. I wouldn't swoop for this TV again until you can get it for that figure, which in my opinion is about what the TV is worth.

The 77" C1 however is priced now more similarly to its lowest price.

But you'll have to view things differently to get the right TV. There's no second-best TV between the two, it depends on your own preferences and use case. One persons best TV will be the C1, the next the QN94A.

One thing you can consider is how you intend to use the TV. If the TV is going to be used during the day or with lights on in the room usually then you kind of negate the downside of having an LCD TV like the QN94A and generally because the TV can get a lot brighter, it will make for a more impactful picture using HDR during the day or with the lights on.

However, if you're wanting to enjoy the TV in darker conditions and you enjoy a more refined picture with more detail then the C1 OLED makes most sense.

I think I need psychological help!

I've read eveything you have said, watched hundreds of comparison videos, taken screenshots from said comparisons and just went down to a local store that had the C1 & QN94A next to each other and every single time, regardless of medium, I prefer the brightness and colours of the Samsung.

So someone please tell me why after all of this I still can't make a decision?

There is just something nagging in the back of my mind saying OLED is better. 99% of people say so, every tech reviewer on youtube says so, the guy in my local store says so, most comments on youtube says so, Rtings says so.

I know it's all personal taste but I just can't get rid of that feeling that I'm making a mistake getting a QLED over the OLED.

Like I said I think I need help.

What's your usage pattern going to be like with the TV? In most cases people do agree that OLED is better than LCD but the QN94A really is a special TV in its own right, what sets it apart from other LCD TVs is the fact it has hundreds of dimming zones and a really high peak brightness. This means that you negate the usual flaw of an LCD TV looking worse in darker conditions compared to OLED, but you still gain the brightness which will make for a large impact when watching HDR material.

It's generally a bad idea to make comparisons from viewing both TVs in a store because you don't have control how each TV is setup, you usually don't get to play back the same material you watch at home and the conditions you view the TVs is probably going to be a lot brighter than your home.

Probably what impressed you about the Samsung is its ability to display vivid colours, because it can get so bright its able to push out a very high colour volume meaning you can see colours that are brighter and more vivid than before in brighter areas of the picture.

An OLED on the other hand is the opposite, they can show more colours closer to black, something that you will only really notice when you're viewing the TV in darker conditions.

That is a huge issue, not being able to view the TV in my rooms condition. How does anyone choose a TV?

I’m going to go back to the store tomorrow and although the TV’s haven’t been calibrated they are all showing the same images and they have the remotes close by and are happy to change the picture modes for me.

What mode should I ask them to display on both sets to get a truer idea of which TV to buy or to really showcase both TV’s to make an informed decision? I’ve heard Film maker was a good one but both TV’s in the store looked horrendous, really dark and dim.

When I first entered the store and compared the two the LG C1 blew me away and was far better than the QN94A but then I later found out the C1 was in vivid mode and the Samsung in something else I didn’t catch. When both TV’s were in standard the Samsung had the better image (in my opinion) The LG was amazing but was just too black in parts and so much detail seemed to be lost, I think I read this is down to something called ABL?

So I’m going to spend 10 minutes on each TV tomorrow just sitting directly in front of it, what picture mode should I ask them to put on on both – it doesn’t have to be the same just the one to really showcase each one?

Thank you.

Oh and usage wise, still exactly the same as my first post “The TV will be my PC monitor, connected to Sky and a 4K blu ray player. It is turned on the second I wake up and gets turned off when I goto bed. In those times it gets used for PC gaming, console gaming, browsing web pages/Youtube/email, reading & writing documents, streaming TV shows, upscaling older TV shows, playing 4K discs/Blu Ray/DvDs, watching sports”.

Despite what I said in my first post here the amount of time I keep the TV doesn’t matter nor does the burn in risk. Getting called away is no longer a problem as I have started to use screen savers on my PC and have started getting into the habit of turning the screen off when I go out and will, if I get an OLED make my desktop background all black with no icons and auto hide the taskbar.

Also despite saying I don’t want to micro manage, I absolutely will if it means I get the right TV.

With all that said it may seem like I’m trying to get someone to just tell me to get an OLED but that’s not the case – I really just don’t know what to get. If it’s not OLED then it will 100% be the QN94A but if it is an OLED than the C1? G1 if I can find a good stand? A80J? Or something else?

All I know is it’s a lot of money to spend and I don’t want buyers remorse. Put simply I want to get the most amazing picture with bright, amazing colours that just pop of the screen.

As of said before I just want to be wowed and amazed every time I turn it on.

In all honesty I wouldn't even bother to compare the TVs in the shop. When you get the TVs home and you play around with the picture modes you'll soon see how terrible the vivid modes look when in the shop, the TVs pretty much have to be in vivid mode to compare well to the TV next to them, and also to cope with the lighting.

Vivid modes on TVs are practically there solely for showroom use, and should never be used by anyone.

But its also a matter of taste, my own approach is that a good picture is an accurate one, as close to intended as possible. Some people will use their TV in Vivid mode because they prefer that, or they are used to it. I'd really recommend against it.

As for which picture modes should look the best, on the Samsung I believe the most accurate is movie/cinema mode. On LG I think they have ISF picture modes which are the most accurate out of the box. Any comparisons you do make you'll want the TV to be in these modes, no matter how bad the TV looks because these modes are what you'll likely run at home.

At the end of the day its hard not to overthink things, both TVs you're contemplating are very good and you'll be happy with either so its just a matter of going with your instinct and what you feel you like the sound of the best, if you feel that's an OLED. Go for it.

That's really helpful, Thank you.

In all honesty my instincts, based on hours of youtube comparison reviews, online reviews and your thoughts are telling me to get the Samsung QN94A BUT the LG C1 always beats it in comparisons and OLED is considered the better technology and that is why I have these nagging doubts. :)

I'm 95% going for the Samsung. But I will try one last time in the store tomorrow with the settings you suggested with the knowledge that it's not going to be that way at my home but it might just convince me that extra 5%

Thank you.

Don’t forget that when you do buy a Tv, you won’t have the other one next to it to compare: so you won’t see what you are missing out on, as it were. both TVs are very good and I think you will be impressed with them.

Given your burn in risk, I would go for the Samsung when the price gets competitive/good.

Make sure you buy from a good retailer, Richer Sounds or John Lewis are consistently recommended on here.

Thank you pastrybloke19.

I'm almost certainly going to get the QN94A.

I have a Panasonic GZ950 65" OLED it's 2 years old and has over 8k hours on it. It goes on when I wake up and off when we go to bed just like you Boleyn. We watch broadcast tv 1080 and a lot of Netflix/Prime 4k and some 1080p/4k blurays also at least 2-3 hrs a day BBC 24 news which as static bars and info on screen.

And as yet we have seen no burn in at all, we have never gamed on it though.

I am looking out for a 77" OLED to use in my home cinema room and that will be used much less probably 2-3hr slots 4-5 times a week for movies either at night or daytime with blinds closed. We are going to be buying the Sony AJ80 or the LG C1 at around £2600.

I am not worrying about screen burn unless anyone can tell me LG/Sony OLEDs are more susceptible to screen burn than Panasonic (LG make the Panny screens or did up till recently).

get an oled with burn in warranty via JL if they still do it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom