75% on benefits fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berties

Ex Member
Reaction score
Well known ATOS are not giving medicals for each applicant rather ticking a box entered into a computer and that's it.

No doubt some are milking the system but I bet many of those unable to work have been classed as fit for work. That number with cancelled benefits does seem incredibly high (ATOS are paid millions)

Most sick benefit seekers 'are fit enough to work' | News

Would like to see the numbers when failed applicant goes to doctors and gets a proper medical and this contradicts ATOS's "assessment"

Tories want to get rid of all benefits, so this is a start...

I would hope that 75% is not a representative figure but rather if true they went for the soft underbelly first. Benefits culture needs to be weeded out, this is a step but the implementation might not be the best way. Offering 3rd party companies financial rewords for discovering 'fakers' is a crude mechanism to get results, I'm not sure its a good one.

Wellness notes from an actual doctor is a good solution, with the occasional check to confirm doctors aren't just signing people off, by a 3rd party company paid by results could work. If a doctor is seen as signing people off then other 'suspect' cases or random sample from the same doctor could also be looked into.

It's the difference between not being able to do a previous job and being able to do other jobs.
Also disability was used as a way to hide unemployment figures.

I liked the figure of 250,000 instantly withdrew their disability claim when asked to go to the doctor for a review.

The number of appeals that result in a decision being overturned is 40%!! That's a pretty appalling indictment of ATOS's decision making process.

The nasty party has a figure in mind and will get there , hook or by crook.

I liked the figure of 250,000 instantly withdrew their disability claim when asked to go to the doctor for a review.

This tells me a lot about the amount who are fit to work but swing the lead, just think of the ones who are chancing it as well and have continued to try and claim.:rolleyes:

Yeah, saw that as well. I'm not surprised by the overall number though, just having a disability does not mean you are unable to perform a job. The big mindset change has to come from the employers as well, I know of only one shop in Reading that has a guy who is wheelchair bound out front of store serving customers. :clap:

The nasty party has a figure in mind and will get there , hook or by crook.

If they are the "nasty party" for not paying people who are able to work what would you call their predecessors for not addressing it?

If they are the "nasty party" for not paying people who are able to work what would you call their predecessors for not addressing it?

Conservatives... all this started with Maggie hiding the jobless figures. Labour found it usefull to carry on the practice. So the mentality was grown by the various govermnents. If you pay to achieve a result you will get the result you want. This lot have called every GP a liar, every Consultant liar, every claiment criminal. It won't save a penny just put people into poverty.

every claiment (sic) criminal. It won't save a penny just put people into poverty.

What are you thoughts on the 250k figure? Surely that is going to save a huge amount of money.

I have always said that there are plenty of able bodied people willing to work and this just proves it. Utterly ridiculous that some folk have been allowed to claim disability benefits for years when seemingly they are more than fit to work. It's absurd.

Having some sort of disability doesn't mean you cannot work at all. You may not be able to do the job you used to or want to do but it's likely you can do another.

Our local Co-Op seems to employ a large amount of disabled/ill people at the tills (a one armed, slow man; a young man with hearing problems; a woman with cancer etc.). It makes me wonder if there are tax benefits or something for a business to employ people classed as having a sort of disability?

Our local Co-Op seems to employ a large amount of disabled/ill people at the tills (a one armed, slow man; a young man with hearing problems; a woman with cancer etc.). It makes me wonder if there are tax benefits or something for a business to employ people classed as having a sort of disability?

I don't know the details but I am pretty sure that there is.

What are you thoughts on the 250k figure? Surely that is going to save a huge amount of money.

How, Extra money for expanded job help schemes for jobs that are not there. Lets not forget that those that 'fail' the test are taking a test set by the body that are paying the testers to find people to fail a raised test threshhold.

Nothing about how this government is going about this is fair. You go to the professional medical practioners of this country, they give their learned opinion on your condition and some Westminster prat says no...no we'll pay some company to give us the right answer we want. pfft.

Does that story actually say anything about people on the benefit they talk about?

"More than a million people trying to claim sickness benefit are well enough to work, figures revealed today"

Any chancer can try and claim the benefit but this is showing they are being rejected. For all we know 100% of people getting the benefit are entitled to it.

"Of 1.3 million people who applied for the £100-a-week Employment and Support Allowance, 517,900 were deemed fit to work while 485,500 withdrew their claims before taking medical tests."

BTW if you were put into a wheelchair tomorrow would you still be able to do your job? And if not what type of work do you think you would be able to get? Because of the limited number of jobs disabled people can do I think giving benefits to disabled people is a way to keep them out of poverty.

I believe there are some sort of 'tax credits' for employers that do this.
But they only come into effect once the person has been off benefits for 6 months.

All well and good saying those in wheelchair can "get a job" but in places I've worked it wouldn't be possible, due to access and hygiene issues. Clean room and all that. Would need several wheel chairs in each section. The company would not pay out for several wheelchairs.

Then in another job staff area had no wheelchair access, no staff lift only for stock. Then can't reach higher shelves.

It's hard enough for able bodied person to get a job now, and there wouldn't get the job as you can't do the job. Even for myself have ticked off hard labour jobs as I did my back in years ago, when I do lots of heavy lifting all day my back is killing me, get a pain on lower back in my spine.

Last edited:
You go to the professional medical practioners of this country, they give their learned opinion on your condition and some Westminster prat says no...

Do you honestly believe that some family GPs haven't just signed people off because they're on friendly terms etc.?
There are GPs where you just need to say "my back hurts" and you're off.

All well and good saying those in wheelchair can "get a job" but in places I've worked it wouldn't be possible, due to access and hygiene issues. Clean room and all that. Would need several wheel chairs in each section. The company would not pay out for several wheelchairs.

Nobody ever said that people with disabilities can work anywhere. But it still doesn't mean there is nothing they can do.
No doubt it would be more difficult to find a job and until they do they need some support but they need to "help themselves" too and not just sit at home.

Do you honestly believe that some family GPs haven't just signed people off because they're on friendly terms etc.?
There are GPs where you just need to say "my back hurts" and you're off.

Mine is one of those. Whenever I go in with a problem one of the first questions is "how long do you want off".

Congrats Berties for finding a job. What did you go for in the end?

You go to the professional medical practioners of this country, they give their learned opinion on your condition and some Westminster prat says no....

Everyone knows that most GPs have always been a soft touch for a sick note

All well and good saying those in wheelchair can "get a job" but in places I've worked it wouldn't be possible, due to access and hygiene issues.

There is far, far more to disabilities than people in wheelchairs

You go to the professional medical practioners of this country, they give their learned opinion on your condition and some Westminster prat says no...no we'll pay some company to give us the right answer we want. pfft.

as has been said before, some GPs are a little soft. For example I tore ligaments in my ankle a long while ago and went to the GP for a sick line.

I had already been to hospital and been given crutches and some bandaging on my ankle.

Sat down, told the doctor I had hurt my ankle and damaged the ligaments. Within seconds he had given me a prescription for some cracking pain killers and a 2 week sick line. Didnt even look at my ankle!!

All well and good saying those in wheelchair can "get a job" but in places I've worked it wouldn't be possible,

And every job I have had could be done by someone in a wheel chair, granted there are a few jobs that couldnt be done if you were in a wheel chair but that doesnt mean there isnt a job out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom