75 ohm FM antenna

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cabby, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cabby

cabby
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I just picked up an old Technics receiver. It did not come with any tuner antenna. The back has a spring clip type FM antenna, one is 75 ohm and another one says ground. I'm not at all familiar with this type of antenna. What type of antenna do I need to purchase ? Attached is pic. Thanks so much for your help.

Cabs

Attached Files:

2. fxv300

fxv300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    That's an unusual connection for a 75 ohm unbalanced feeder (coaxial cable fed) antenna. Usually the two-wire connection type are for 300 ohm balanced feeder antennas. (These then have a small 'balun' or balancing/impedance matching transformer to a coaxial plug connection, which is the normal input on a receiver).

Looks like you'll have to 'bodge' your own connector with a 75 ohm joiner, a F-plug and a short cable to go into those wire clamps. GND would be the coax screen connection and 75-ohm the centre conductor.

AVOID buying any halo 'omnidirectional' FM aerials you see: they throw away over half the signal. A vertical dipole will work better!

4. cabby

cabby
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reply. Ok, so I need the coax type antenna that I'm use to , but also need some kind of connection that coax feeds into. But what is the actual wire that feeds into these spring clips ( " the vertical diploe " ? ) and how is it all connected to the joiner?