75 inch Q80t or 65 inch Q90t

MrCheese0

Novice Member
Reaction score
There is currently a sale on the 75 inch Q80t in my country which dropped the price all the way down to the 65 inch model. It is quite a bit cheaper than the Q90t as well but price is not that much of a concern. It is about $500 cheaper than the Q90t currently though.

The distance to the TV will be about 6.5 feet and we watch varied content. We do have quite a few large windows in the TV area. About an even split between gaming, TV and movies. I do know that Rtings said that the Q90t is not worth the price but "the internet" seems to disagree there.

What would you do?

There are differences between European and North American TVs, despite having the same model numbers.

rtings is a Canadian publication, so there review of the Q80T should be considered closely to the Q85T in Europe and not the Q80T.

The Q80T is a cut down model not sold in the Americas, without the superior anti reflection/wide viewing angle filter.

If you plan to use HDR with the TV, with Samsung's LCD TVs the more you spend the better. The Q90T is the top tier 2020 4k model, and is the best at displaying HDR. It can get a lot brighter than the cheaper models, and meets a good recommended level of brightness for HDR use (circa 1500 nits).

By comparison TVs like the Q80T and Q85T only reach around 1000, which is what you want to aim for at very least if you are using HDR on the TV.

So ask yourself how important HDR is to you, if its important it looks as good as it can, go for the Q90T.
If you aren't going to use HDR, and when you do use it its not important it looks the very best, go for the cheaper Q85T or Q80T.
If you don't need wide viewing angles and don't need better anti glare, the Q80T.

It is also worth considering that pricing on these models tends not to be very good at this time of year. Even with discounts TVs are heavily overpriced when released, and they have only been on the shelf for a few months. Different regions can have different pricing but there's a general trend of pricing that makes purchasing a newly released model each year before the Black Friday/Christmas sales an insensible thing to do, with prices tending to drop drastically for the first time at that period.

And even then, prices are not as competitive as they are in spring the following year, as new models are released and the older stock goes into clearance.

There are differences between European and North American TVs, despite having the same model numbers.

rtings is a Canadian publication, so there review of the Q80T should be considered closely to the Q85T in Europe and not the Q80T.

The Q80T is a cut down model not sold in the Americas, without the superior anti reflection/wide viewing angle filter.

Wow I had no idea. I thought Samsungs model numbering was confusing enough with the whole Q90R->Q90t thing.

So ask yourself how important HDR is to you, if its important it looks as good as it can, go for the Q90T.
If you aren't going to use HDR, and when you do use it its not important it looks the very best, go for the cheaper Q85T or Q80T.
If you don't need wide viewing angles and don't need better anti glare, the Q80T.

Since HDR is probably the number one thing I want from a new TV(should have mentioned that in my original post) then it does seem like waiting for Black Friday for a sale on the Q90t is my best option.

Thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom