• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 75" 4K TV - Mid price range

Howesy77

Novice Member
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion / suggests for 75" TVs in the £3500 to £4000 price range (plus or minus a reasonable amount :))

My list so far is :-

Samsung UE75KS8000 - £3.5K
Panasonic 75EX750B - £4K
Sony 75XE8596 - £3.5K
LG 75SJ955V - £3.8K

Any others I'm missing - only want a flat screen - sound doesn't matter!

Cheers in advance.

Dodgexander

If you can still source one and care more about performance with HDR the 2016 Sony XD94 will be your best bet. I think the 2017 XE94 may be over budget, but it may be worth spending more on if you can save a little longer. I would even rate the Sony XD94 series over this years XE90 series unless you need low input lag.

Once you get to the larger screen sizes there is very little difference in price between getting a TV that is mediocre with HDR (like the KS8000) and a TV like the XD94 which is a FALD direct lit TV.

The other TVs you mentioned:

The LG uses an IPS panel so is best avoided unless you need wide viewing angles (approx up to 45°vs 20° off centre). It also will likely be poor with HDR.
Sony XE85 series is a respectable non HDR capable TV, it accept a signal but doesn't have the hardware to display HDR well much like the LG.
Panasonic will perform much the same as the Sony XE85.

At other sizes I would say go for one of the other TVs if you don't intend to use much HDR, indeed at lower screen sizes it is a waste really to get a capable HDR TV when you won't use it much. However at larger screen sizes the % of price difference is much smaller so it doesn't really make any sense to get an edge lit screen at 75" anymore, especially when at that size, edge lit uniformity will be more noticeably worse vs direct.

Howesy77

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply - I'm trying to find any available! One last question :- some of the new Samsungs e.g. QE75Q7F are available at 0% over 18 months so I could afford that even though they're £5k. But is it worth the extra price?

Dodgexander

I don't think they are worth the extra no, there are big diminishing returns in bang for buck. Not to mention the reviews of the Samsung don't seem too promising yet, in fact it looks in some ways it could be worse than the KS series from 2016.

Something else to consider when having such a big TV is the quality of SD material upscaled to UHD, it will look poor on a FHD TV, but on UHD even worse, you will definitely want to avoid SD material. Especially viewing within distances that make UHD worthwhile.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom