Question 75” Sony ZD9 v 75” Sony XE9405

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Anton2015, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    hi all.

Currently have a Panny DX902 which I am extremely happy with, no issues at all with the picture (which really is stunning) apart from one thing....it’s only 65” and I want 75”.

Given that Oleds are out of my price range @ £15 - 20k I am looking again as FALD LCD’s.

Having read just about every review I can I’ve narrowed down my search to the 2 Sony’s.

Appreciate that the ZD9 has 600+ dimming zones compared to the 256 sones of the 9405 but having read the reviews, there hasn’t really been any issues with the lower of the figures, largely due to Sony dimming algorithms.

I don’t doubt the ZD9 is ‘better’ but as they both use the X1 chip it seems they are not leagues apart.

I can get a demo of the 9405 but it would be in the middle of a shop floor so wouldn’t be lighting controlled so I don’t think I’d get as much out of it as I’d hope.

Can’t seem to get a demo of the 75 ZD9 as most shops don’t stick it due to the size.

I was wondering if anyone here had seen both models at any point or maybe has any extra info on the TV’s?

It seems you can get the 9405 for around £3800 which does seems to be very fair. The ZD9 is much higher still, at least £5.5-6k.

Not sure when we are expecting the newer models, assume ZD9 replacement would be out first given it’s already around 15 months old?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. OC2000

OC2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I was originally considering both these sets too, and did a lot of research, but the below swung me towards paying more for the 75" ZD9.

From what I have read:

Most content available right now is mastered for 1000 nits so you won't see too much difference in HDR content as both do more than 1000 (The ZD9 considerably more than the XE940). This will change when content is mastered for higher nits.

The ZD9 (75" only) uses a much better screen for motion response handling. The XE9xx and 65" ZD9 use an inferior panel.

The ZD9 has 3D while the XE940 does not.

I originally owned an LG 65 EG960V OLED tv. I much prefer the Sony, the blacks to me look just as black except without the "macro blacking" which made any dark scene look awful on the LG. I do see some DSE on the Sony, but I have not calibrated the picture yet and it is 99% of the time unnoticeable. Only against bright sky.

Viewing angles unless you are staring at it side on are fine.

This ZD9 is the first TV that has made me squint due to its brightness in some HDR scenes.

I guess something you can try when you demo the XE940 is to see if the HDR is bright enough to make you squint.

3. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    Thank you so much!

That’s a really helpful response. I had no idea the actual screen used was difference between the 2 ZD9’s or that it’s also a step up over the 9405 on screen alone.

It certainly does appear that the ZD9 is the better option.

With only limited savings to be had on that model now I’m wondering if it’s worth waiting a few months to see if they announce a new updated model.

Then it would either do one of the following:

1) push the price down on the ZD9

2) prices remain strong in which case it wouldn’t be too much of a premium to have a newer model.

Either way your post has really been useful!

Thank you!

4. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    There is nothing wrong with the response times on the XE93 and XE90 models, only XE94, XD94 and 65" ZD9 and XD93.
    That the 75" ZD9 has beter response times is from testimonial evidence only but seems credible enough and a good enough reason to pick it over the XE94. Seems pot luck that the 75ZD9 ended up with a better panel, not a conscious choice on Sony's end.

5. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    When you’re talking about response times do you mean in relation to gaming or general viewing?

The reason I ask is I only play games once in a blue moon so that doesn’t matter to me.

But if you’re talking usual movie viewing etc then that could play a part.

Thanks!

6. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Yes the pixel response times, they can cause some black smearing with those models but there don't seem to be too many complaints when it comes to actual viewing. So it's more from very light colours to very dark or vice versa where they underperform (looking at the chart below it seems from very dark to very light is the culprit on the XE94 panel).
    This is from the Rtings review: "The response time of the 75" X940E is bad, resulting in a long (but faint) trail following moving objects. This isn't noticeable in all content, and isn't an issue for watching movies but does cause visible blur behind 60 fps games or sports." And a link to their measurements: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x940e/x940e-response-time-2-large.jpg

And from another review: "And therein lies one of the weaknesses of the VA-type LCD panel deployed on the Sony KD-75XE9405 – its slower response time resulted in dark smearing/ trailing against a lighter background. Whether it’ll bother you depends on your individual sensitivity and the type of video material viewed; we watched a ton of fast-action sports such as tennis and football on the 75XE94, yet we hardly noticed it at all."

I could imagine it standing out more on somethling like icehockey or indeed gaming so if like you say gaming is done once every blue moon and you probably don't watch too many winter sports it more than likely won't be much of an issue.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    Thanks for that. My existing DX902 suffers every once in a while things like that mainly on older Netflix shows for some reason.

Though it does seem another plus point for the ZD9 on that basis.

Again, really helpful!

8. Rizlablue

Rizlablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The 75" ZD9 has the same panel for motion response and has over 1000 calibrated beam zones, stunning TV.

9. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    Thanks for the input!

Makes you wonder what the ZD10 is going to be capable of! If there is one!

Thinking I’m going to see what happens closer to Black Friday as it does seem that the XD9 May be worth the extra to the 9405.

10. Rizlablue

Rizlablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    From my past experience in TV sales for many years, I can almost guarentee there will be no offer on black friday. Black friday is a time for businesses to get rid of the stuff that doesnt sell, these models are very limited in supply.

11. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    Yeah you are most likely right.

There were a few stores selling them at £5k I think at one point but now the cheapest I’ve seen is around £5800.

Possibly may get hold of a cheeky 20% off voucher over that weekend is the most likely scenario as opposed to this specific TV.

12. Brentismaximas

Brentismaximas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I saw the 9400E and the 9000E on display side by side last night. They were showing a football match highlights. The 9000E looked better than the more expensive 9400. Looking at the ball, it was much clearer on the 9000. The ball was sometimes a blur on the 9400. It’s a shame.

13. Brentismaximas

Brentismaximas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Er I’m in Australia so um, the 9400 is your 9405, and 9000 is your 9005. I just realised. Carry on.

14. Anton2015

Anton2015
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    That is unusual.

Don’t suppose you saw if one perhaps had some kind of motion handing on and one didn’t?

15. Brentismaximas

Brentismaximas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yea nah no idea I’m afraid.