1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

737 or 7700

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aj, Jan 8, 2001.

1. aj

aj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heeeeeeeeeelllp

I recently started to upgrade and I have now hit a brick wall.

I cannot decide between the sony 7700 or the pioneer 737.

I have a denon avc a10 se and a poat 10 to the fronts. Prologue and dialogue one Rs, Eltax bipolars at the rear all wired with QED silver anniversary cable. My TV is a 33 inch Tosh.

QED S video cable and audioquest video 2 for the sound.

I am looking to get a projector at some stage. A cheap lcd jobbie sharp maybe I don't know.

I do not need loadsa gizmos, I just watch, listen and enjoy.

I hope someone out there can help me.

AJ

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an aside, how did you find the POA-A10 improved the A10SE? I was thinking of getting one a while ago, so I'd be curious for any info.

Do you use it to power your front l/r pair or the rear centre pair?

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

3. bananas

bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would DEFINATELY go for the Pioneer.
    The Sony, although a fine machine, is a couple of years old now, and the Pioneer has just been released, thus you are getting newer technology.
    But I would say the most compelling reason for you buying the Pioneer, is that its a Progressive scan player, which should be of great interest to you if youre buying a projector soon (make sure your projector is a progressive scan compatible one).

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AJ,

I had the same choice to make and went for the Sony (with which I am very happy), having not seen either machine (the Sony was such a raved about product, I knew I couldn't go wrong).

Points to note (not all in the Sony's favour and all IMHO [​IMG] )

1) The Sony is high-end, the Pioneer is not - I'm referring to the audiophile components and anti-resonance chassis etc.

2) The Sony was a couple of years ahead of its time. I believe it can still cut it at the £600-650 price point. Clearly so do Sony as they're still selling it (along side the 9000).

3) The Pioneer can output a 96kHz bitstream if you're interested in that sort of thing (the Sony downsamples to 48kHz). I don't believe this is any great shakes as there is very little 96kHz material (DVD music, I believe) out there and probably not much more coming in light of DVD-A and SACD.

4) The Pioneer has an NTSC (and NTSC only) progressive scan output. This is a good thing if you have lots of Region 1 discs, but only if your projector can accept a prog scan signal (I don't know if "cheap" LCD projectors can). The Sony, of course does not (though it can be modified for several hundred pounds).

5) I did NOT like the HCC measurement of the Pioneers digital jitter. This put me off it more than anything as I was looking for a CD transport as well as great 5.1 sound. I was deeply sceptical of the HCC review of the Pioneer when it came to sound (claimed it was superb, but didn't comment on the jitter - maybe it's got excellent analogue performance like the Sony).

6) The Sony's digital jitter figure is still state-of-the-art, although it is in fact bettered by the Sony 725. Digital sound though my Yamaha A2 is fantastic.

7) The Pioneer has more picture tweaks arising from newer technology, which you might like, and are supposed to be very good. The Sony has minimal or no picture adjustment (nothing springs to mind). If you are like me (and judging from your post you are) and just like to watch movies rather than constantly tweaking to try and improve things, you probably won't miss these extra parameters.

8) The Pioneer IS newer.

9) The Sony probably (I don't know) has less viewing features than the Pioneer (e.g. no zoom).

A couple of other bits of info: My Sony has the techtronics mod which works fine. Apparently it's OK with RCE discs in the manual region selection mode. Picture contrast and detail are excellent, particularly in dark scenes (e.g. Elizabeth, Aliens). I view on a 32" Wega.

I hope that helps you in your decision! I'm biased, but whichever way you go, you'll end up with a good player.

[This message has been edited by JoelS (edited 10-01-2001).]