1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p, XGA and Philips 30PF9975

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Norvegia, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I'm about to buy the Philips 30PF9975 and I've heard that this set doesn't accept 720p. Don't know if this is a very newbie question but, could a 720p signal be camouflaged through the XGA 1024x768 PC mode via the "VGA in" on the set?? Or is it impossible to display this mode in any way on this set?

That's all. Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

2. KarlD

KarlD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search on powerstrip and the user Smith2004

he posted powerstrip settings to allow 1280x768 from a pc into the VGA connection.

I don't have a pc hooked up to my pf309975 so can't say any more. Perhaps the fellas in the above thread can (wish I could like directly to the tread for you but can't seem to)

Karl

3. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Karl :)

So, this way, besides been able to have the WXGA resolution displayed on the Philips (great news indeed), will I also be able to watch 720p content?

Cheers.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Norvegia

Maybe a silly question but why purchase that display - go get one that accepts a 720P video signal!

Best regards

Joe

5. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are right Joe, but the thing is I won't be watching that much of 720p content, but in case I get a WMV9 encoded DVD or I watch a HD channel on Astra on the PC, both in 1280*720, I wanted to know if it would be possible to display this resolution via a PC mode on this TV.

I mean, If I play 720p through VGA in on the TV using 1280*768 on the PC, how will it be displayed, as 1280*720 (so no way) or as 1280*768???

Thanks.

6. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I have been able to play 720p WMV files (downloaded from the microsoft site) through the vga port on this TV and they look very good indeed. 'Ordinary' dvds played on a PC via this port (using Zoomplayer pro with ffdshow, or Windvd 6) look great also, almost 'hi-def' in the cases of well transferred disks (such as Gladiator).

7. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Smith2004 for sharing your experiences. Even though I sent the TV back, I'm sure this is going to help many other users with this set.

Cheers.