720p Trailers jerk from HDD!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by loudhouse, Mar 20, 2006.

1. loudhouse

loudhouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had my XBOX 360 for 2 weeks now and have noticed that when I play 720p Trailers from the XBOX360 HDD, the picture is a bit jerky.
    eg: Quake 4 Trailer, Mission Impossible 3 Trailer.
    Has any one else noticed this or have I got a faulty HDD?
    Video & Games in 720p from the XBOX360 DVD Drive are fine.
    Also 720p from my PC is fine, so I can rule out that it is not my screen.

2. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've only really downloaded MI3 but saw no issues with it. Hope that helps.

3. Brooker

Brooker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed that with the MI:3 trailer actually, but didn't think anything of it.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread....

4. loudhouse

loudhouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have posted this query to MS so I will let you know the outcome.
    I would like to hear from anyone else who may have come across this issue.

5. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I too noticed jerkiness on the MI3 720p trailer.
    I have however downloaded quite a few other trailers and not seen this problem, so I had put it down to that specific trailer.

Hope this helps

6. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i absolutely have seen this with every 720p trailer on both my LCD TV (Sony Bravia V32) and my HD projector (panny ae900). Im convinced it has nothing to do with my setup. I think that the 360 simply has trouble playing Hd films without any stutter. it is most apparent in scenes where the camera pans from right to left or left to right. it can also be seen often in the film logo like 20th centrury fox.

i raised this issue in another forum and got a mixed response. on a 110 inch screen like my panny projects, its hard to miss (though my gf cant see it, hehe).

i was hoping microsoft could remedy this with a firmware update, but to be honest i think we are stuck with it. shoddy. shame.

krlock2

7. taffyt

taffyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I noticed this too on my MI3 trailer. Anyone know if the trailer is stored as MPEG2 HD or MPEG4.

Either way, it's a bit worrying if the XBOX 360 doesn't have the horsepower to play this 720P trailer smoothly. After all, even if MS release an add-on HD-DVD player it's not going to be worth it the machine can't play 720P and 1080P films from it....

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I assumed they were WMVs.

9. ptogscot

ptogscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I noticed this on the MI3 trailer but that was in 480P on my standard CRT TV. So maybe it is the trailer as I would have thought the 360 would have easily enough power to play these videos smoothly.

As was mentioned earlier it is most noticable in slow camera pans left and right. But then again could be jerky on my set as the 360 has to convert to an interlaced picture from the 480p picture to display it on my PAL TV.

Also the motion on the preloaded 720p snowboard movie seems smooth enough- according to the xbox specs it should easily play these videos and I would have thought the hard drive fitted would also be fast enough to deliver them(my seemingly less powerful laptop with 4200rpm HD manages it just fine with WMV, Quicktime and DIVX in 720p!).

10. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The 360 is definitely powerful enough for it. I put it down to bad encoding. Aside from the motion, the actual quality of the image is pretty poor too. It's not a patch on the .ts stuff I've got.

Don't know how they're encoding it, but pretty much all the vids I've seen have been grotty.

11. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are most of these hd clips not just scaled up from SD anyway, as i've found the sharpness varies enormously between them. I was in dixons today and they had an LG plasma set up to a HD source and it looked amazing far better than any of the clips on the net i've seen. could it not be jerky also because its a film source which has been converted poorly. Where as some are shot using proper high defintion cameras shot at higher frame rates

12. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have watched a few full high def films (Sin City, the Matrix trilogy) on my 360 (streamed from media centre PC) and had no issues with a jerky picture. The 360 is more than capable of playing HD material, so I would suspect the encoding method.

13. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Did you all download the MI3 trailer from the US MarketPlace or the UK one?

I'm guessing (just guessing here) that the 360 outputs NTSC video as PAL, therefore getting a stutter. Just try putting a region free NTSC DVD disc in it, absolutely terrible :thumbsdow , but just like the original XBOX :rolleyes:

14. Dan_Nufc

Dan_Nufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The MI3 trailer runs a dream on my 360. No jerkyness or anything.

15. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when playing the hd clip noticed it plays on the tv at 720p60 where as the clip is probabably encoded at 24fps so it may have problems converting the frame rate

16. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, i also see jerkiness on stuff downloaded from europe. narnia and aeon flux for example.

the 360 DEFINITELY does not stream these HD clips properly, and i suspect that anyone who says it does, is actually not paying close enough attention.

17. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I agree!
    I don't think I would've noticed it on a smaller display unless i had looked intently for it.

18. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No problems here at all, either playing the Marketplace trailer downloads or streaming entire films in resolutions upto 1080p via Media Centre.

19. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the problem is subtle, shaithis. you need to watch very closely on the trailers. we are, please note, only referring to the trailers here.

i suspect if you look closely enough, you will see it.

20. pacnhami

pacnhami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i recon that where gonna have to wait till blu-ray/hd-dvd and sky hd to see High definition in all its glory.

21. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Are any of you getting jerkiness using VGA as the output by anychance?

Component I get no probs with HD vids off the harddrive with the sony 3lcd and id notice with 50" (its no different from me than watching a upscaled film on 720p very smooth no hdd thrashing).

Reason I ask about the VGA output is I suffered jerkiness with it for a lot of games and even dashboard movement with the same television, just seemed to be a very strange fault with the VGA output on certain televisions (the CRT worked fine thou)

22. Mike@Portugal

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  23. taffyt

taffyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    ...and that COULD be a big concern IF that turns out to be the issue. If the 360 turns out not to be able to decode MPEG4/H.264 very efficiently then the whole HD-DVD drive add-on kit is not looking so likely after all.

My mid-range PC (AMD64 3700+, 1GB RAM) never drops a frame with full screen (1366 x 768) rendering of 720P H.264 trailers, but with a few of the 1080P H.264 trailers (e.g. Omen from apple.com/trailers) the video does occasionally stutter.

Now, the 360 may be able to shift 3D and calculate numerous millions xyz polygon calculations per second with its dedicated video hardware, but does it have the sheer processing CPU grunt to decode 1940 x 1080 H.264 video for which there may be no hardware assistance from the ATI video circuitary as there no doubt is for the MPEG2. This would explain why all the high def .TS files I've tried have flown by without a problem.

Are the high-def WMV files on the microsoft site encoded using a similar H.264 codec, because if they are, it's probably worth copying some of the 1080P clips to a USB2 hard drive and seeing if the 360 is up to the job...

24. Mike@Portugal

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WMV is MPEG4 so it is similar to H.264 in some extent, you don't need a USB2 hard drive to play a 1080p WMV clip, you can do it from Media Center, i will download a 1080p clip and give some results soon...

25. Mike@Portugal

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i have some 1080p WMV already that i didn't recall and they all play flawless, i i'm puzzled now!
    The MI3 trailer plays flawless too, but some others that i cannot recall now had some jerkiness in them.

Anyway the MI3 trailer is a very hard one to spot jerkiness because it has many slow motion movements.

26. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I watched the MI3 trailer again last night to check and there was definately jerkiness throughout the video. Obviously it's less noticable at the beginning because there's not much movement. I am connected via Component to my Samsung SP50L7HX @ 720p.

27. loudhouse

loudhouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have downloaded the MI3 Trailer in 720p from th UK Marketplace.
    I have the Xbox360 setup to output 720p through the component cables to a Pioneer HD plasma.

The trailer jerks all the way through.

I have tried it at 60 Hz & tried the Pioneer function to detect 24fps videos.

I am not sure if it is the trailer as I have the Fifa demo on my HDD as well and it jerks through the cut scenes.

Maybe it is the HDD that has the problem.

It is not my display as I have watched 720p HD from my PC and have had no problems.

I spoke to MS and they said the HDD might be at fault.

I am going to keep an eye on this problem and might just get my HDD swapped.

28. loudhouse

loudhouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have now downloaded 2 new trailers in 720p and have found that they do not jerk.
    I think you will find that MI3 has been encoded badly.
    I do not think that my HDD is the problem as all the trailers would jerk.
    MS should not be uploading bad trailers to the Marketplace.