720p or 1080p

pwlewisuk

Established Member
Reaction score
What are games best play in, my TV hadles both as it is full HD

most games are not 1080p...even if the box suggests that they are.

There are only a handful of games that are 1080p, some are not even 720p so just go with whichever resolution you think looks best.

Personally I use 1080i as I can only use the Full Pixel mode of my TV at a 1080 resolution but 1080p gave screen tearing on certain games so 1080i was the perfect option.

I've never had any trouble with 1080p.....well, other than Resident Evil 5 that had loads of screen-tearing in full HD so I had to drop it to 720 and then it was fine....bizarre!

Makes you laugh eh :laugh: :facepalm:

PWLewis, whatever looks best to you mate. Me, I use 1080p as it's looks best to me.

thanks all sorted now, sorry for the reposting lads, please accept my apologies

Id say 8 weeks, HELL 8 days!

AbbZ you dont literally mean Sharper do you? Because thats just wraaaaong!

1st off, what size is ya screen, how do you have it connected and how close do you sit.

Although I prefer 1080p (I only switched from 720p because Fallout 3 wasnt playing as well) you may find the fonts a little small.

AbbZ you dont literally mean Sharper do you? Because thats just wraaaaong!

In a way. Basically I meant pictures are just clearer. For example the edges of objects are less mixed in, more seperable.

Yeah, I'm bad at explaining what I mean:blush:

I have a 50" G10
Great set,love it and love the picture

I had my 360 set to 1080p for ages - however I have now dropped back to 720p

Why ?

Well Fallout New Vegas was first reason - some tearing and some sluggishness
However in 720p the tearing went

Also found in Fifa I had more freezes (at least one per match) in 1080p than I do in 720p

Picture wise ? well I imagine if I stared really, really, REALLY hard for a long time I could probably notice the difference

The problems where also the same on my PTAE2000 projector too
Seems 1080p is good but performance wise you may suffer

Id go out on a limb and say visually 99% of people wont notice a quality difference... Because there isnt one.

Performance however, will be different for different games. Funny how we both swapped after playing Fallout games ;)

i use a samsung LE32C530 Full HD LCD, do i use movie picture mode and leave sharpness at 50 (on a scale of 0 - 100)

That set has high input lag which sucks :(

As for sharpness, should be set at 0 for HD content and consoles, no more than 10 for SD.

Thats not a preference, thats a rule. :smashin:

You dont need sharpness on an LCD or Plasma, it adds lines that just arent there.

Sorry I was thinking of the wrong set.

I have the calibrated settings for this tv matey, here you go!

Mode: Movie
Backlight – adjust according to your room brightness.
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 44
Colour: 43
Tint: G53/R47
Sharpness: 0

Color Space - Auto

Your 360 should be set to RBG with Ref Levels at Intermediate.

:smashin:

As many have already said, there are only a handfull of games that are natively 1920 x 1080 so 99% of the time, either the TV or 360 will be doing some upscaling so the question is.... Which piece of hardware does the better job.

I can never really tell the difference, I think people always used to say it depended on screen size or something as well but I think the best is what you think looks best.

there is no hard and fast rule for all games, each game is rendered internally at a different resolution, the scalar chip in the 360 then converts this to whatever you select as the output, and then based on your tvs actual pixel count the tv may convert the image again to fit the panel. (ignoring the fact you may have an av reciever and another step in the link)

So ideally you want to select what your tv is nativly to remove at least one resolution change, but as shown above sometimes even this is flawed so its whatever works for you with your setup and the games you play :)

When it comes to 360 games, there are no more pixels than 720p.
Having said that, certain displays add minimal lag when upscaling 720p to their native 1080p.
Choosing 1080p with the 360, will cut out the TV's processing, and some displays look poo @ 720p.

You guys do realise on screens 32" & smaller the human eye cannot detect any difference from 1080p compared to 1080i so unless your playing on a screen bigger than 32" you wont see any difference at all.

Saying that it does also depend on the quality of the scaler chip of your screen which is why some (?) may say they can see differences when compared with other screens.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom