720p or 1080p

pwlewisuk

Established Member
Reaction score
What should i be playin games on out of the above. My TV is full HD but are games only renderered to 720p

Well if your tv is an 1080p lcdtv then it always displays at 1080p so either you give it a 720p signal and your tv upscales it or you give it a 1080p signal and let the 360 upsale the game to 1080p

Basically there is not definite answer each tv is different i suggest try both and see which you like best

Some games aren't even 720p so I would use either 720p or 1080i.

You could use 1080p but like I said in your other thread there are some games that have issues when the 360 is set to 1080p.

Just play a few games with each setting and pick whichever you think looks best to your own eyes.

I use 1080p but I find that some games have screen tearing at 1080 but are okay at 720. Capcom games like Dead Rising, Lost Planet have this issue.

I play on a 1080p monitor but I always have it on 720p, with 1080p some games have screen tearing, some have slowdown and as far as I'm aware none actually look better (apart from the 2 or 3 native 1080p games I imagine).

I use 1080p for gaming and am pretty pleased with it

It all comes down to if it suits you as you are the one using it

had my 1080p Toshy for a month now, it has a better scaler then the 360 and as long as I can play in native mode(just scan, full pixel etc..) I'm happy to run it in 720p

ResiEvil 5 is another that suffers at 1080p, screen tear regardless of whats going on onscreen, I only switch it back to 1080p for playing Perfect Dark and REZ HD (both native 1080p)

Last edited:
I always have my 360 set to 720p, i dont see the point in having the GPU produce even more heat than it already does.

I always have my 360 set to 720p, i dont see the point in having the GPU produce even more heat than it already does.

It gives off more heat while running at 1080p?
Hmm...
I've had my Panasonic TXP50G10 since just before Xmas.
I swapped to my HDMI Xbox360 simply to run games at 1080p.
They all look a hell of a lot better.
I haven't really noticed any extra heat, especially since I run all my game from the HDD, and especially since I moved in to a bigger room.
Could there be problems from running at 1080p all the time?

I use 720p as my Philips has a better scaler in it, so i get less jaggies than when the 360 is using 1080p.
As all games are 720p@60fps, it's the ideal setting.
So when you choose 720p, make sure you select NO when it says displaying at 50hz.

All games run at 60hz in HD so no reason not to select 50hz, it just allows older xbox games and streamed material that is 50hz to be displayed correctly.

No they don't.
Even on MS site , they tell you to change to 60hz for certain games that do not support PAL 50hz.
Which means if the game has both 50 & 60 modes, but even then 60 is better for fast games.
The image on your screen is black, distorted, or choppy while playing an Xbox 360 game

Ok it seems not all games display in HD at 60hz and if you want nothing but 60hz HD gaming then you should set the SD display setting to PAL60Hz instead of the default PAL50Hz.

However the 60hz/50hz test you get when changing resolutions will not effect HD gaming, only DVD/HD-DVD playback...

50/60 Hz Output Confusion

There has been some confusion in regards to 50/60 Hz output, due to the various dashboard updates which have changed the output settings, and also the separate issue of both gaming and video output (and throw in DVD output, which is again separate to video playback from the dashboard).
50 Hz output it optimal for playback of PAL video at 25 FPS.

First of all, the dashboard (including all non DVD playback through the dashboard, media center extender, USB, UPnP ...) will always default to 60 Hz if you are using any of the HDTV/component modes (including 576p). There is currently no way to force 50 Hz output mode in HDTV mode. The only way to make the dashboard video playback in 50 Hz mode is to use the SDTV mode, and this means resorting to 576i output - there is an option to set to PAL-50 or PAL-60 under "PAL Settings".

For gaming, the "PAL Settings" actually do affect the gaming refresh rate in HDTV gaming mode, even though the "PAL Settings" option only appear when SDTV is used. For example, you can force 50 Hz game output in HDTV mode by first switching to SDTV mode, set the "PAL Settings" option to PAL-50, save the setting and then switch back to HDTV mode. Note that some games do not support 50 Hz output mode, and you will get an error message when attempting to play these games at 50 Hz.

For DVD/HD DVD playback, things are somewhat different again. When you make changes to the HDTV output settings (eg. to change from 720p to 1080i), you will be asked if your screen supports 50 Hz output mode, if you select "Yes", the screen will refresh to 50 Hz temporarily and ask you again if you can see the screen. Regardless of whether you select "Yes" or "No" to this 50 Hz test, the screen will refresh back to 60 Hz after this test. If you did see the screen and you did select "Yes" to being able to use 50 Hz mode, then DVD and HD DVD playback will automatically switch to 50 Hz mode if the content being played is at 25 FPS. Otherwise, it will stay in 60 Hz mode. As mentioned before, this only affects DVD and HD DVD playback, not the playback of any other video files through the dashboard interface.

Last edited:
I have tested Fifa10 through my HD PVR on both modes 50Hz & 60Hz and the resulting files play at 25 & 30fps on PC.
So you DO have to choose No on 50Hz to get 60Hz output.

I use 720p as my Philips has a better scaler in it, so i get less jaggies than when the 360 is using 1080p.
As all games are 720p@60fps, it's the ideal setting.
So when you choose 720p, make sure you select NO when it says displaying at 50hz.
Not all games are native 720p

and I've never seen anything to say the 360 runs hotter when scaling as it has a hardware scaler - eg the GPU isnt doing it

Not all games are native 720p
No, there are what, 6 games that are native 1080p?

and I've never seen anything to say the 360 runs hotter when scaling as it has a hardware scaler - eg the GPU isnt doing it
Well the 360 runs hot anyway, any hotter would be George Foreman grill territory.:laugh:

There are quite a few games that render at resolutions that are not 720p nor 1080p though. The last 3 COD games render at 1,024x600 for example.

Well over HDMI, no point dropping under 720p to natively match them.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom