720p or 1080i

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by johnr2110, Sep 20, 2007.

1. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hello all

Have recently altered my setting on my Sky HD box from 1080i as set by the installer to 720p which I assume is nearer to the resolution of my TV, which is a Pioneer PDP 427XD. Was this a good idea or should I return to the original setting. Or should I use the automatic setting? "explanation required".

John R

2. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Theres not much in it to be honest but i originally thought 720p was "better" because of the progressive scan rather than interlaced but since have set it to 1080i as i believe most/all sky content is 1080 lines vertical and my vertical resolution on my plasma is 766 so i believe 766 is closer to 1080 than 720 scaled up.
    It does seem slightly better this way rather than setting the sky content to scale to 720 then scaling again back up to your TV's native resolution. ;)

Either way there is going to be downscaling one way or the other and i just take out the scaling back up again from 720.

That is unless you are one of the lucky ones that has a 1080p TV.

3. pacificdragon

pacificdragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a Sharpe 42XD1eA which has 1080p is best to put the Sky box on automatic or 1080i? I've not had much time to mess around with the settings as work is keeping me from my new toys,,, I've just about got the picture settings on the TV finely tuned after many many days now sorting out the Sky HD box,

Thanks,

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,028
    Yep - I've set mine to 1080i because that's what the Sky material is shot in.

Consider the conversions

Sky Box set to 1080i
    TV de-interlaces
    TV downscales to 768

Sky Box Outputs in 720P
    Sky Box de-interlaces
    Sky Box downscales to 720
    TV upscales to 768

Basically there are more conversions when Sky outputs at 720P and most are done by the Sky Box which I would imagine would have inferior signal processing circuitry compared with a good TV.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. nwpsys

nwpsys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another thing you might want to bear in mind is how much 4:3 programming you watch. If you are set at 1080i or 720p on the HD Box, then the box decides how to process the 4:3 to 16:9, and as far as I can tell it just squashes the picture ruining the AR.

Some TV's ( mine included, a Sony 40D3000 ) just see the signal as 16:9, and display it squashed.

If you choose Auto on the HD box, SD shows in 4:3 come out as 4:3, and you can use all the fancy settings on the TV to decide how you want the 4:3 displayed. For example, I use a SMART setting to give a 16:9 picture with the centre in correct AR and the top and bottom a bit squashed. You can even fine tune the Sony to decide how much squashing goes on top and bottom.

However a disdvantage of using Auto, is your TV will have to resync as you go in and out of HD channels. My set only takes a second, so I am happy to make do with that and get full control over my picture. If your set takes longer, it may be too much to live with.

nwpsys

6. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,028
    I know what you mean - mine doesn't take much more than a second but is accompanied with a click from the electronics and a flash\flicker of the screen - I'm sure it is not a problem but I found it disconcerting so decided against AUTO.

Cheers,

Nigel

7. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks for the advice have just set the box back to 1080i

JR

8. Mickyfinn

Mickyfinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I also use the Auto setting for the same reasons you nicely explained above. The only difference is I prefer the 14:9 setting for 4:3 broadcasts on my Sony 40W2000. Either way, it's better than 4:3 in forced wide format.