1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p or 1080i?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eurytus, Aug 16, 2005.

1. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just gotten a Sanyo Z3 which I am very happy with (and thanks to all the great advice from this forum for that purchase) and I am using it with a Samsung 850 DVD player. However the manual for the player does not make it clear which resolution it outputs through hdmi is the best. 720p or 1080i.
    The latter has the higher resolution obviously but the former is progressive (I assume).
    So far I have been using 1080i and the picture quality is very good. But would 720p be preferable?

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Try and see which one you feel is best, i would have thought that 720p would have been best as it is only scaled once i.e in the dvd player, where as 1080 has to be scaled in the player then scaled and made prgressive in the projector. When i had my samsung many moons ago this is what i used.

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Intersting ...I done this last night as I also have a 850 running through my benq5120 and to be honest I found 768 to be more preferable as I seem to get artifacts from 1080 I am not sure if this is down to the cable not being upto scratch but the picture imho did seem better at 768 and 720,
    I realize my pj is not of the same quality as the Z3 and this could also be a factor in my findings but I am interseted to see what you find

Cheers Darko