720p or 1080i on a 1366x768 panel????

nictry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Difficult to search the forums on this question but I have a Panny 50" panel and think I have quoted the res correctly above but as I now have a fully functional HD-A1 that can do either 720p or 1080i which is the best one for the panel to receive without further processing etc. ie which is actually the best res to output to??????:confused:

AFAIK you are supposed to match the disk to your display so a 1080i disk should be displayed on a 1080i setting

Docta teef said:
may sound stupid but why dont you just have a look and see what you think looks best.

I think they both look the same :D However if there is an optimum setting then I would prefer to use it :smashin:

dazzlew said:
AFAIK you are supposed to match the disk to your display so a 1080i disk should be displayed on a 1080i setting

Sorry you have lost me! the disk won't be a 1080i or 760p disk it is the panel that had the res and the player outputs to it (unless I have got it totally wrong!!!)

I would say output at the discs resolution of 1080 (but from what I've read, the new firmware 2.0 fixes the previous problem (poor picture) of outputting 720) and just let the screen down the res to native res. Only re-scaling once then :)

Might be worth updating the latest firmware as it also has dolby true-hd 5.1 added as well.

crackazz said:
I would say output at the discs resolution of 1080 (but from what I've read, the new firmware 2.0 fixes the previous problem (poor picture) of outputting 720) and just let the screen down the res to native res. Only re-scaling once then :)

Might be worth updating the latest firmware as it also has dolby true-hd 5.1 added as well.

Already updated to 2.0 last night, can't say True 5.1 has made any difference although have ot have volume up to -6db to get decent volume when prev had around -20db, work that one out :confused:

nictry said:
Already updated to 2.0 last night, can't say True 5.1 has made any difference although have ot have volume up to -6db to get decent volume when prev had around -20db, work that one out :confused:

How do you rate the picture over just upscaling a dvd?

Where did you get the player from? how much?

Was thinking of getting one but think I will wait a bit till things settle down and HD-DVD wins :devil: :devil:

crackazz said:
How do you rate the picture over just upscaling a dvd?

Where did you get the player from? how much?

Was thinking of getting one but think I will wait a bit till things settle down and HD-DVD wins :devil: :devil:

The PQ on HD from both of the movies so far (Van Helsing and POTO) is way above that of an upscaled SD DVD (I have an Arcam 88+ as my SD player so pretty high quality) and the HD movies are in a class of their own :smashin:

I paid £250 for the player and brought it back from the US in my suitcase :D converter off ebay for about a tenner and away we go :smashin: Don't wait just go for it, trust me you won't regret it one bit! Just want a fe wmore decent titles to come out now to really see the benefit :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom