720p on 1080p Screens

Psychotext

Been looking long and hard for a decent TV for a while now and have a pretty solid short list based on reviews and user opinion. I do have one concern though. Most of the screens I have on my list are 1080p but I realise that a lot of the source material I will be watching will be at 720p (from games consoles).

If I upscale PC game resolutions to match my LCD monitor's native resolution (1680 x 1050) I find that they usually look pretty bad and obviously scaled. This means that normally I'll choose to display stuff centred with borders in the original resolution rather than having the image scaled. Am I going to have a similar problem with an LCD TV or is it less of a problem because you're dealing with better upscalers / bigger pixels?

Thanks for any info / opinions.

P

ProjectorDreams

if your going to in time get blueray of hd then i would go for 1080p if not 720p

Been looking long and hard for a decent TV for a while now and have a pretty solid short list based on reviews and user opinion. I do have one concern though. Most of the screens I have on my list are 1080p but I realise that a lot of the source material I will be watching will be at 720p (from games consoles).

If I upscale PC game resolutions to match my LCD monitor's native resolution (1680 x 1050) I find that they usually look pretty bad and obviously scaled. This means that normally I'll choose to display stuff centred with borders in the original resolution rather than having the image scaled. Am I going to have a similar problem with an LCD TV or is it less of a problem because you're dealing with better upscalers / bigger pixels?

Thanks for any info / opinions.

Hi,

you can get 1080p from XBox 360, PS3 and PC (1920x1080 res), so there's no need to use 720p on them.

ZHD

Psychotext

There are some 1080p games on the PS3 and 360, but they're the exception rather than the norm from what I can tell. 1080p will obviously be preferable for HD movies, I'm just concerned that 75% of the time I'll be playing 720p games on the TV and I don't want them to look bad. :thumbsup:

P

ProjectorDreams

There are some 1080p games on the PS3 and 360, but they're the exception rather than the norm from what I can tell. 1080p will obviously be preferable for HD movies, I'm just concerned that 75% of the time I'll be playing 720p games on the TV and I don't want them to look bad. :thumbsup:

its down to really then is it used for games more than films then 720p

gasteropod

I've played various PS3 demos on my 1080p screen and have never thought 'hmm, this looks scaled' or anything. I'd go for 1080.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom