1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720P Hi Def on a Sharp 9000 DLP.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Technophobe, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've had my sharp 9000 for around 18 Months now and I've always wanted to see how it would look when supplied with native 1280x720 high Def material. Well my wish has finally been granted in the shape of Microsoft's T2 High Def Demo Clip at 720P.
    I was expecting it to see a more detailed image but that's about all. And sure enough this is what I found, but what I wasn't expecting was the huge increase in perceived contrast and depth of the image, and much smoother and more detailed pans.
    I can only think that because the image has a higher band width that any fine detail in the image that should hit the near black/white levels are allowed to do so. Where as the bandwidth restrictions imposed on standard DVD material would tend to average out these details to greys. The result is greater apparent contrast and depth.
    I'm assuming the pans look more detailed simply because the bitrate restrictions of DVD do not apply and hence the fine details can still be maintained during pans. Where with DVD the image would normally blur a little while the camera is moving as the demands of the bit rate are exceeded.

This all came as a surprise for me because Hi Def is promoted for exactly that High Definition, no one ever mentions the contrast improvements and clarity during camera movements.
    Now I've seen it, it's a case of I've simply got to have it, so I'm thinking of buying a D-VHS (D Theater) player from the states.

Does anyone know if I can expect the same level of performance when using D-VHS on the component input, as presumably this will pass through the PJ's scaler, where as the T2 Demo was via a PC in to the VGA input 5 at 1280x720 bypassing the PJ's scaler?

Technophobe
    :) :) :)