720p for sport

Ewoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sky originally stated 720p resolution was best for sport, ie. fast moving action.
Does anyone use this resolution for sport & found its gives a better picture over 1080i.

thanks
ewoody.

I did use 720p briefly during the world cup. I noticed that it did seem slightly smoother when the ball was being played around- but the better picture on 1080i more than compensated for that IMO. :lesson:

my projector has been sent back to BENQ as it suffers terribly with juddering with any fast action sport at 1080 or 720:( . in 576p it is fine - but whats the point of me watching at this rate when i have went to the trouble of buying sky HD? Feel lucky!

Problem is that 720p isn't being used by any broadcaster, so all that selecting 720p at the Sky HD Box end is doing is getting the box to convert from the 1080i original to 720p, and send that to your TV, which will then convert to whatever format it uses.

Ewoody said:
Sky originally stated 720p resolution was best for sport, ie. fast moving action.
Does anyone use this resolution for sport & found its gives a better picture over 1080i.

thanks
ewoody.

I have recently changed to 720p and find that it offers a better picture for all programmes.

Even for watching my beloved BRFC!

dennisg said:
I have recently changed to 720p and find that it offers a better picture for all programmes.

Even for watching my beloved BRFC!

Nonsense! There's no was a picture can get better after another scaling! :rotfl:

Unless one has a 1080 line TV, it needs to be scaled again somewhere to be displayed, and it is just a question of whether that is done by the digibox, or by the TV (or by an external device), or in many cases a combination, as most HD compatible TVs seem to be 768 lines.

So it's just a case of whichever looks the best on your TV, thanks

richardr said:
Unless one has a 1080 line TV, it needs to be scaled again somewhere to be displayed, and it is just a question of whether that is done by the digibox, or by the TV (or by an external device), or in many cases a combination, as most HD compatible TVs seem to be 768 lines.

Are you saying that it would it would be better to use 720P with the Sony X series (1920x1080)

colin45 said:
Are you saying that it would it would be better to use 720P with the Sony X series (1920x1080)
Not for 1920x1080 since that is a 1080 line resolution. Richardr was specifially talking about resolutions with less than 1080 lines.

colin45 said:
Read the bit you quoted again, which referred to 1080 line TVs.

In other cases, my view is that it is best to use one's eyes, and see if there are any differences - there can't be an always right case.

Personally, I keep the box on auto and let my TV do all of the scaling.

richardr said:
Read the bit you quoted again, which referred to 1080 line TVs.

In other cases, my view is that it is best to use one's eyes, and see if there are any differences - there can't be an always right case.

Personally, I keep the box on auto and let my TV do all of the scaling.

I did have it on auto but got fed-up with the screen going blank on change over so I tried 720p and 1080i and I did not see much difference between all of them, I now leave it on 1080i but I was wondering if I should change it for various content

rbentley said:
So sky HD's native resolultion is 1080i?

From day one up to now , yes.
I prefer 1080 also and auto is the best setting as it will output at the channels native resolution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom