1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p capable CRT TV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Eiji, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Are there any 720p (1280x720) capable CRT TV's that are coming out this year or that are out already?

I've seen those slim Samsung CRT sets (less than 16" depth) that do 480p/720p/1080i >here< but don't know the ETA for them in the UK.

I was close to buying the Toshiba 32ZP48 but 480p just won't cut it for me since I want HDTV resolutions and a somewhat future-proof set :D

I've already seen the 32ZP48 in action at a friends house in 480p via The Incredibles movie, few games on XBox (Halo 2 was killer at 480p) and some games on PS2.

I don't want to get an LCD Panel because the black levels aren't as good as a CRT set and they have smearing to some extent ie on scrolling text. Not to mention the big panels are darn expensive.

Thanks.

2. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
  3. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you say that since no Tosh CRT in the UK supports 60HZ properly. If you were running 480p, the top and bottom of the screen would be cut off. PAL progressive will work fine.

Wait for the new Plasmas and LCD.

4. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you want to be able to take advantage of Sky's upcoming HDTV Im pretty sure you will have to get a set that has a HDMI input i.e and LCD or Plasma screen. Posted by bash.

The Samsungs should have HDMI inputs, as most HD CRTs in the US have them.

Anyone now what the native res for the Samsungs will be?

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Eiji83,

Be VERY wary when buying equipment for a service that's not on-air yet. :lesson:

There only needs to be a last minute change to a parameter (be it the broadcast spec or an interface) and you could be stuck.

In the past, manufacturers have promised updates and failed to deliver. :mad:

So "caveat emptor" as Julius Caesar used to say!

6. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    fxdxd

You have mentioned it in numerous other threads that no Tosh CRT in the UK supports 60Hz and I asked why in one of them HERE and you didn't respond so I ask you again to elaborate on why you think the UK Tosh sets don't support 60hz properly.

60Hz mode seemed fine to me and I've seen plenty of TV sets in 60Hz mode via RGB and component.

7. RST

RST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC 32 0r 36p38SJE supports 720p - at least according to the manual. Excellent sets. Got a 36" from Currys for £800 knocked down because they reckoned it was "discontinued" - ie they dont want to sell it anymore. They also threw in free component leads! DVD is stunning through progressive component

8. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I downloaded the manual for the 36P38SJE from jvc.co.uk and it only states the following modes for the component inputs (EXT4): 625P, 525P, 1125i
    I was going to buy this set but ruled it out because of the many problems with the DIST technology and RGB @ 60Hz doesn't work.

9. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    bump

10. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: