720p and PC viewing on the Phillips 9986

andrewf

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that people are getting excited about the new 9830, however I suspect that the 9986 has now fallen into the price band of some of us, myself included. It's my fav TV :thumbsup: and I know there are a lot of very happy owners out there from what I've read on the furom and I really could do with your help on one point.

Can someone confirm that I've read right that 720P and PC input will leave a band all the way round the screen because of no upscaling - top, bottom and sides?

If so how much is it size wise (know the line figures)?

Assuming DVD is OK other than possible bands at the top and botom.

Really really want to get this TV, just got back from Currys having used forum settings on the Hitachi 7200 (firm choice for connections and HD / PC screen fill), Panny 500 and the Phillips and the Phillips looked awesome even with Currys feed, however worried about losing quite a bit of the screen when I start using Sky HD and Xbox 360.

Actually its two points :blush: can you get PIP with TV / gaming and / or TV / PC?

Thanks

Being cheeky :D but if anyone has a picture of a PC or HD content in action, to show the band it would be much appreciated.

Here's a picture of my PF9976 running 720p via DVI.

Attachments

• PICT2404.jpg
    PICT2404.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 90
JanneA

Thanks very much for the pic. Just what I needed to see. Certainly adds a bit around the edge then.

On the off chance you read my thank you, do you find the band bothers you / is noticeable? Or have you just gotten used to it? Guess it depends on whether you have a 32" or higher.

Thanks again.

PS Image looks great :)

andrewf said:
Thanks very much for the pic. Just what I needed to see. Certainly adds a bit around the edge then.

On the off chance you read my thank you, do you find the band bothers you / is noticeable? Or have you just gotten used to it? Guess it depends on whether you have a 32" or higher.

Thanks again.

PS Image looks great :)

You're welcome! The border doesn't bother me, at least not yet: I use RGB SCARTs for my DVB-tuner and old DVD player. 720p DVI was just a test out of curiosity as my PC is normally in another room. I should've measured the image size, but I guess it's roughly the same as on a 32" CRT. Using 1080i is always an option if you want full screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom