720p and 1080i - Denon 2910 or 3910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scotty Boy, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After reading this...

Link

I'm now aware that you can get 720p and 1080i out of Denon DVD players, which I never knew you could. I thought you needed a scaler for this, and i've read on here that the Denons didin't support it when they first came out.

So, couple of questions.

1) 2910 and 3910, can I only get 720p and 1080i through DVI (my tv doesn't have HDMI)

2) Would I notice much of a difference over the 2910, and the 3910 through DVI on a high definition Panasonic Plasma.

3) This would also act as a CD player to my Denon 2805, would I notice much of a difference between the 3910 and the 2910 through some stereo leads to my 2805 amp.

Eventually, i'll get a dedicated CD Player and Stereo amp (probably arcam) So I need this to tick me over for a year or so.

CHeers for any help!

Scott

2. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Also, I won't be playing DVD Audio or Super Audio CDs, just normal CDs.

I'm not sure if that website is correct or not about getting 720p and 1080i through DVI or HDMI on the 2910 and the 3910. SO i'd need you guys to fill me in on if it's correct or not. :)

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can confirm that you can not get 720p or 1080i via the component outputs as I've tried it.

If you are planning on using the DACs in the DVD player the 3910 are better than the 2910, not to mention that the 3910 has higher build quality, so you should be able to tell the difference between the two of them.

heres what I said about the differences between the 2910 and the 3910 in AML's thread (its near the bottom of the DVD player forum)

4. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, you cannot get them via the component outputs. But can you get them out of the DVI outputs?

Quick Q, what would I use the DACS for? I haven't really come accross that before. Could you explain what they are for me, or how they'd effect me?

Thanks dude
    Scott

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can't really comment on the DVI or HDMI outputs as I've yet to use them as I do not have a suitable display device.

DAC or digital to analog convertor turn the stream of digitial data on the CD/DVD into the analog sound you hear via the speakers (after amplification by the AMP of course). Better quality DACs usually result in better quality audio, but obviously other things affect the quality of the sound output by the source, like the quality of the power supply, dvd drive, shielding and so on. There are also several different approaches to the way a DAC decodes the digital stream to do with the number of bits, upsampling and what not that go straight over my head.

These different approaches yield different types of sound, and its not always as simple as one DAC is always better than another unless you are comparing models from the same line within a family - which you are in the 2910 and the 3910.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes, 576p/720p and 1080i via both DVI and HDMI no problem at all. It's what the player was designed for :D