1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p 60 to 720p 50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by wilno, Sep 18, 2005.

1. wilno

wilno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading some other posts with people getting rather annoyed that their hardware won't accept a 720p 50hz signal I thought I had better check my Sharp xvz2000 manual and check.

1080i 50
    1080i 60
    720p 60

No 720p 50 listed. :mad:

I guess it might work anyway, but is there something available that can sit between the sky hd box and the PJ to change the signal freq.?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    A video processor such as a Lumagen DVI would do the job.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=dvi_details

Steve

3. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Like dutch says a video processor (scaler) would do the job but it might introduce judder because of frame rate conversion. Some people are more sensitive than others, so i would recommend a demo before hand if you can.

4. wilno

wilno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for replying, at least there are some options to hand even if they do end up costing more than I originaly intended.

PS. There are many rumours flying around about Sky HD as you know, one being the option to specify the output from the box through a menu setup screen ie 720/1080. Does anyone know if it is likely/possible/probable to switch between 50/60 hz during the initial configuration. Surely Sky will be losing a lot of customers otherwise?

Thanks

5. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite likely that the Sky box will have an option to switch the output between 720p and 1080i at 50Hz.

As for switching between 50 and 60Hz - very unlikely.

6. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    That would be my post I think ;) Samsung have since told my that despite the manual, using an HDMI connection I should happily be able to receive a 720/50 signal. However, I'm less than convinced after they directed me to the page in the instruction booklet that talked about the frequency of the power supply. Oh dear.

7. Dizagaox

Dizagaox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldn't worry - the HITACHI 42PD7200 for example is a HD-ready TV, but doesn't have 720p/50 or 1080i/25 either.

If that TV is compatible, then yours should work fine through any of the 3 outputs.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Dizagaox: There are a fair few TV's that have been marketed as HD due to their abaility to recieve or display US HD material. The fact a device works at 1080i60 or 720p60 is in no way a guarantee that it'll work at 50Hz equivalents. The fact a manufacturer calls their product an HD product is also no guarantee it'll work with unnanounced or forthcoming HD services.

Gordon

9. jorgelargo

jorgelargo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody:

I’m from Spain and I want to comment some aspects of the HDTV to you. Here people are less interested in that definition because there are not stations using it.

Now I’m thinking about buying a big LCD: a Loewe xelos sl 37 hd / dr /dvts/s. Now this brand is deploying the new built-in receiver televisions. If you choose the old version, with the receiver in a beautiful additional box, you can get a tv with hard disc, digital receiver and satellite receiver for 3500 € (= 2400 sterlings). You should note that our payment is lower than yours. This amount is approximately three times my monthly payment.

Please could you answer some questions about this purchase: What do you think about the price? The catalogue says “Digital Technology HD (high definition)” but the resolution is only 1366*768: Will it support 1080p? What about 720 p? I can see than in the UK you have some experience with Sky. What do you think?

Thank you very much.

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes, it will do 1080p (downscaled to fit the full screen) and 720p either unscaled in a black border or scaled to full screen. The hard disc can only record SD and cannot record from component, DVI or VGA. The D-TV/D-Sat card only has one decoder for both TV and Sat so you cannot watch one digital channel and record another, irrespective of whether it is Sat of D-TV. The controls for the HD recorder are abysmal too - very unresponsive. My honest opinion is to forget the D-TV/D-Sat and harddisc and get a Spheros for the same money. The 2 box system is still better than the newer 1 box solution though.

-Ian

11. jorgelargo

jorgelargo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why a spheros? i asked my retailer and he couldn´t give me a good reason.

Than you again.