1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720p @ 50hz work around - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stellavision, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I am in a position now where I have my second plasma in the present form of a Hitachi 42PD5200. The screen has an HDCP compliant DVI input which I use with good results with my HTPC DVD player scaling with FFDshow to 1920 X 1080(i) at 60hz. In fact the screen will output most resolutions bar the all important 720p @ 50hz which appears to be the favourable format of the upcoming Sky HD service.
    Now, do I really have to fork out for a brand new plasma again, or is there a work around using a scaler or other similar device which will take the sources input resolution and scale to a compatible resolution with apropriate HD format with HDCP, etc? I am already getting interested in a scaler to improve the poor quality broadcasts which come out of the present SD services.
    I know I'm going to want Sky HD, but if I change plasma's again right now I know I stand to lose a significant amout of money in a sale and re-purchase.
    :lease:

2. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A scalar should be able to output at the resolution and frequency (framerate) you require. I am annoyed that Panasonic have left V7 panel users high & dry with the HDMI input not supporting 720p at 50Hz to support the new Sky HD standards. It's been damned obvious for a while that 50Hz would be used in the UK. Although they could have picked 60Hz it was never going to happen.

I have a DVDO iScan HD+. You can tell it to output everything at 60Hz if you like but there is something not quite normal about the picture you get, it seems to go into "slow motion" for very short periods (a few frames) and then go back to normal, it's a bit odd. It's very subtle and you have to ask yourself whether it really did slow down. The thing is when you go back to 50Hz you never notice the effect. People go on about "stutter" when frame-rate converting, maybe it's that that I'm seeing.

DVDO also have a new box coming out with HDMI connections and like all descent companies (I exclude Panasonic) they offer upgrades to existing users, a magnificent 66% trade-in price giving me 50% of the upgrade cost.

Charker

3. tranum

tranum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. My first post. I have been reading in here for a while now. I'm not sure I have understood this problem correctly. Does the Panasonic PV500 convert a 720p 50hz into 60hz?? Is this only when connecting through hdmi.
    I have a Denon 3910 and are about to buy the 42PV500, but now I'm not so sure. My plan was to play both my NTSC and PAL movies through hdmi, upconverted to 720p by the Denon, but I do not want the Panny to convert to 60Hz. Please tell me I have misunderstood the hole thing.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    The Pansonic PV500 can accept 720p and 1080i at 50Hz, the PW7/HD7 can not, so you have to convert dvi to rgb, scale the 720 or 1080 to 576, or convert the 50hz to 60Hz.

Option 1 will give the best results.

You are fine with the PV500.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

Stellavision - you could use a Video Processor to convert a 50Hz source signal to a 60Hz Output that is compatible with your display; as charker says the results can be variable and some Video Processor's are better at it than others.

Your other option is a DVI (with HDCP) to YUV or RGBHV converter - assuming your Display is compatible with 720P and 1080i 50Hz via its analogue inputs.

tranum - you have inadvertently raised two questions :) Any Display (inc the 42PV500) that is marked as 'HD Ready' should be able to accept 720P and 1080i Digital signals (with or without HDCP) at both 50Hz and 60Hz.

Having the ability to Accept the above signals does not mean you actually watch the signal back at 50Hz or 60Hz - often Displays reprocess the signal and change the refresh rate to a 'Golden' number that best matches how the video processing in the Display operates.

charker - if you only bought AV kit from companies that offered an 'upgrade' program you would have a very limited AV set-up; ask TAG owners how 'worthwhile' an upgrade scheme works out to be!!!

Mind you with the price of Plasma Displays continuing to plummet maybe Panasonic are already offering a 'stealthy' upgrade scheme - sell your PWD7 for 50% of what you bought it for and your only 1K away from a PWD8 :devil:

Best regards

Joe

6. tranum

tranum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I understand that the PV500 can accept 50Hz 720p, but does it then internally convert to 60Hz? Or maybe the other way around?

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I'm not sure if the 42PD5200 is compatible with all HD resolutions via analogue, maybe someone can enlighten me. Also intersted to know if anyone has tried the apllication I have suggested over dvi with scaler and my particular screen.
    I get the picture that the proccess can work, but I am interersted if anyone has experienced it successfully with this equipment combination.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    ]

No, the PV500 is one of only a few screens that will accept 50Hz and display 50Hz, there is no nasty internal conversion going on.

The Panasonic panels can accept 24, 25, 48, 50, 60, 72, and 75, and I think the Pioneer MXE1 is the same.

Most plasmas convert back to 60Hz or some to 72Hz!

9. tranum

tranum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is really great news. :clap: