1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

720P 1080i 850*480 etc etc

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pwood, Feb 25, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Can anyone explain 720 & 1080 in terms of actual resolution. When looking at the specs of panels they quote 2 figure together ie 852*480 Panny 1024*768 Pioneer. Neither seem related to 720 or 1080.
    On a similar subject I've read of a few folks running a scaler @ 720p into their Panasonic SD screens (852*480) and the picture really being improved. I dont get this as surely the screen must be trying to work out what bits to miss out in order for it to fit.

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    OK well 720p should use a res of 1280x720 pixels...thing is many LCD panels are 1280x768 which is 15:9, but the newer ones are 1366x768 which is 16:9 but would mean scaling...most DLP projectors seem to be 1280x720 native res.

1080i is most often 1920x1080 and screens at this res are only just starting to come out...they must look awesome is all I'll say :)

852x480 is pretty much widescreen NTSC as in normal anamorphic DVD resolution. ANy hi-def signals are getting scaled down to fit this res so yep you're loosing detail. Many people upscale their DVDs to the higher defs if they have the screens.

At the end of the day unless the screen res is identical to the input then you'll get some sort of scaling.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers pinkprobegt.
    Just one other question as Hitachi are due to bring out an HDMI equiped Plazma shortly how does the Alis panel resolution compare with say 1024*720. I know its interlaced but somehow I dont buy the simplified argument that its just 512 lines * 2 and thats all it is. Reason being I've seen Blue Ray down the local Sony centre (their panels are Alis as well I gather) and the picture sharpness was stunning.

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I've never really understood the ALIS thing but 512 actual lines would make sense. It would look good as you'd be seeing 1024 just interlaced like a normal TV picture I guess ?

But I think it's a different way of doing things so you can't directly compare whether one is better than the other from specs, you['d have to do a side by side comparison :)

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Alis panels have 1024 lines, but the lines are addressed in even and odd rows. This means that there have to be fewer connections to the individual pixels, which means that the distance between pixels can be smaller, and larger pixels means a brighter picture. Also, because each picture row is only active for 50% of the time, the panels should theoretically last a little longer. Visit the Fujitsu site (inventors of the Alis panel) for more info.

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks guys. :smashin: