720 v 1080 - Your views please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gorwig, Feb 11, 2009.

1. gorwig

gorwig
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using an Infocus 7210 very happily to watch upscaled dvds off my decent Denon player at 720p. I have recently invested in a Pioneer 51FD blu ray spinner but after watching half a dozen films I am struggling to see a marked difference in the image between dvd and blu ray. The HD soundtracks are a different proposition altogether though - WOW!!
    Anyway the question is I suppose is the Infocus holding me back with its lower resolution? Although a great projector in its day how would a modern 1080p machine compare??

Your views would be appreciated.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,447
    Seating distance will play a part as will scaling down the source. Sitting 1.5 x screen width away (ideally even closer) should allow you to start seeing the difference, and depending on how the scaling is being done will determine if there is much of a resolution difference between HD and SD.

Gary

3. phin_b

phin_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the resolution of your projector?

I have an Infocus X1 which is only 800x600 and I see a marked improvement between watching a dvd and a blu ray, sharper, colors are better etc,

It also depends on the film, I noticed V for Vendetta was pretty much the same.
    But compare the right film and its a huge difference

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    My last pj was a screenplay 7200 i now own a IN80 [infocus as well] ok its a little older than your 7210 but comparable. The IN80 is 1080p 24htz compared to 720p 50htz on the 7200. I have found resolution very much depends on the quality of the movie some look incredible some actually look worse than on the 7200. Its as if the extra resolution brings out the worst in a poor transfer..more grainy i find. ok.. Compared to the 7200 these are imoprovements
    Less noise..but the 7200 was noted as bad anyway.
    Start up and shut down times much quicker seconds to start up around 60seconds to shut down. I don't get any horrible black crush effect in that dark shades blend better on my 7200 i got loads of noticeable pixels trying to fight between being black or just dark..crap explanation but it hard to explain unless you see it :rolleyes:
    Hdmi works great with 1080p 24htz and you get 2inputs.
    Resolution is worth it as far as i am concerned but its not a huge improvement a good example would be the start of The dark knight [batman] the scene with open junction box on roof,on the 7200 wires were a clump on the IN80 you can make every wire out..daft but i see it.
    The manual iris control..this is so cool its like having an in between brightness and contrast control..black can look superb on this darkchip1 pj :thumbsup:
    My 7200 cost me £2500 the IN80 £1300 so i didn't expect a lot to be honest i am more than happy.
    Hope this helps...right off to play some cod5 :D